Ladies hit eight in cup victory

West Ham United Ladies enjoyed a thumping 8-0 victory over Burgess Hill Town on Wednesday
Strikers Emma Sherwood and Whitney Locke both bagged hat-tricks as West Ham United Ladies defeated Burgess Hill Town 8-0 in the first round of the Boux Avenue Ryman Women’s Cup.
Marc Nurse’s side were 3-0 up within the first 12 minutes when Sherwood confidently claimed her hat-trick, before Locke matched her efforts in the lead up to half time.
Just before the half time break, winger Lily Mellors topped off a fantastic first half performance with a low finish into the corner, with Italian striker Romina Pinna adding an eighth late in the second half.
It was assistant manager Tom Camp who selected the squad and led the team for Wednesday’s cup tie, with four changes being made after Sunday’s 3-0 FA Women’s Premier League South defeat to Forest Green Rovers.
Pinna, along with Kayleigh Xidhas, Giulia Ferrandi and Shirvae Edwards missed the trip south, allowing captain Stacey Little to return after suspension and centre half Danielle Sillitoe to make her first team debut. Locke returned to the side to add threat to the Irons' attack, whilst Mellors overcame an injury to return to the matchday squad.
The first goal took just two minutes to come when Mellors flew down the right wing and managed to find Sherwood alone in the box, who finished well past the keeper.
Within ten minutes, Sherwood had added two more to claim her hat-trick, both of which came in similar fashion to her first.
The goalscoring duties were then handed over to Locke, who secured a hat-trick for herself too by finishing twice from a Mellors cross, along with a long solo run and finish in between.
Just minutes before the half-time break, Mellors turned from provider to scorer when she finished after full back Kerry Stimson’s shot was going well wide of the target.
After the break, Camp decided to bring his dangerous front three off including both hat-trick stars, with Sherwood, Locke and Mellors being replaced by Italian duo Pinna and Erika Campesi, along with former Crystal Palace midfielder Danni Ritson.
The eighth and final West Ham goal came on 78 minutes when Burgess Hill’s extremely high defensive line allowed a fantastic through ball to find Campesi. She raced through alone, before squaring past the goalkeeper for Pinna to net her first goal since joining the club.
In the final ten minutes, the Hammers continued to try and push their winning margin even further, Camp and co settled for the result and their place in the next round.
Nurse’s side will continue in cup action this Sunday when they travel to Canvey Island FC for a second away fixture against C&K Basildon in as many weeks. The FA Women’s Premier League Cup First Round fixture will kick-off at 7:45pm and is free entry for all.
Ladies: Chauhan, Stimson, Wheeler, Sillitoe, Bottom, Little (c), Miller, Blanchflower, Mellors (Campesi), Locke (Ritson), Sherwood (Pinna)