NOTTINGHAM FOREST v WEST HAM UNITED
SUNDAY 28 AUGUST 2011
• West Ham United go to Nottingham Forest looking to make it three successive away wins for the first time since April/August 2007.
• The Hammers have fared less well at home this season, losing to Cardiff City and Aldershot either side of a 2-2 draw with Leeds last Sunday.
• The tie pits two of the country's leading English managers Sam Allardyce and Steve McClaren against each other. The pair faced each other most memorably in the 2004 League Cup final when McClaren's Middlesbrough beat Allardyce's Bolton Wanderers 2-1 to lift the trophy.
• Forest are on a three-match unbeaten run and have not lost at the City Ground this season - drawing their first two league matches and defeating Notts County 3-2 in the Carling Cup first round.
• While West Ham have been eliminated from the Carling Cup with Wednesday's first-round defeat by Aldershot Town, Forest are looking forward to the third round after winning 4-1 at Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday.
• Robert Green made his 200th appearance in goal for the club against Leeds on Sunday. He was one of nine changes made by Allardyce for the midweek match with Aldershot - only Winston Reid and captain Kevin Nolan retained their places.
• West Ham United's most-recent victory at the City Ground came in the shape of a 2-0 Division One win on 28 December 2003, when former Forest striker Marlon Harewood and Jermain Defoe were on target. That result also matched West Ham's biggest-ever success at Forest - also achieved in 1996/97, 1935/36 and 1924/25.
• Nottingham Forest have twice recorded 5-0 home wins over West Ham United - in a League Cup second-round tie on 30 August 1977 and in a Division One fixture on 9 October 1965.
• West Ham United's Under-18s travelled to the City Ground for an FA Youth Cup third-round tie on 3 December 2008, losing 3-1. Ahmed Abdulla scored West Ham's goal.
• Although the clubs have not been in the same division since the 2004/05 campaign, the teams met at the Boleyn Ground last season in the FA Cup fourth round.
• The Hammers won 3-2, with a hat-trick from Victor Obinna cancelling out first-half strikes by Dele Adebola and David McGoldrick. The lineups were:
West Ham United: Green, Reid, Gabbidon, Ilunga, Jacobsen, Barrera (Hines 89), Kovac, Noble (Boa Morte 74), Sears, Piquionne (Nouble 87)
Subs not used: Boffin, Tomkins, Bridge, Parker
Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Gunter, Lynch, McGugan, Cohen, McKenna (McCleary 78), Majewski (Tyson 68), Adebola (Earnshaw 66)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, Moussi, Rodney
West Ham United
• Sam Allardyce is expected to make wholesale changes to the lineup that started the midweek Carling Cup defeat by Aldershot Town. The manager could recall Robert Green, Joey O'Brien, James Tomkins, Mark, Noble, Jack Collison and Carlton Cole.
• Sam Baldock, fresh from signing for the club on Friday night, will not figure and it remains to be seen if Scott Parker will be involved.
• Allardyce is still set to be without Abdoulaye Faye (groin) and it is not thought the centre-back will return until after the international break.
• Peter Kurucz (knee) and Gary O'Neil (ankle) are both definitely out with long-term injuries.
• New recruits George McCartney and John Carew are pushing hard for their first league starts. Jordan Brown has been back in light training after his ankle injury in pre-season.
• Pablo Barrera and Jordan Spence are on season-long loans at Real Zaragoza and Bristol City respectively. Olly Lee and Cristian Montano are on month-long loans at Dagenham & Redbridge and Notts County respectively.
• Nottingham Forest have been boosted by the return to contention of French midfielder Guy Moussi, after he came through a midweek reserve match.
• Striker Matt Derbyshire played under Sam Allardyce at Blackburn Rovers for a short period before being loaned and later sold to Greek club Olympiakos.
• Midfielder Andy Reid was part of a Blackpool reserve side beaten 4-2 by West Ham United's second string at Bloomfield Road in March 2011.
• Striker Joe Garner played under Neil McDonald when the Hammers assistant manager was in charge at Carlisle United. After being plucked from Blackburn Rovers reserves, Garner was sold to Nottingham Forest for £1.14m in summer 2008.
• Forward Ishmael made his full debut in senior football for Manchester City in a 2-0 Premier League victory over West Ham United on 23 September 2006.
• Long-serving defender Wes Morgan is the sole survivor from the clubs' previous meeting in the league at the Boleyn Ground on Boxing Day 2004. West Ham United won that Championship fixture 3-2.
Last time out
Tuesday 23 August 2011
Carling Cup second round
Wycombe Wanderers 1-4 Nottingham Forest
Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Gunter, Lynch, McGugan (Freeman 78), Greening, Cohen, Majewski, Miller (Garner 61), Findley (Tudgay 70)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, Boateng, McGoldrick
Goals: Miller 3, McGugan 6 pen, Findley 62, Majewski 75
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Carling Cup first round
West Ham United 1-2 Aldershot Town
West Ham United: Boffin, Faubert, McCartney, Reid, McCartney, Barrera (Taylor 53), Nolan, Stanislas, Sears, Piquionne (Nouble 69), Carew (Ilunga 50)
Subs not used: Cowler, Noble, Moncur, Hall
Goal: Stanislas 16
(Last six meetings, npower Championship unless stated)
30 January 2011 - West Ham United 3-2 Nottingham Forest (FA Cup fourth round)
26 December 2004 - West Ham United 3-2 Nottingham Forest
26 September 2004 - Nottingham Forest 2-1 West Ham United
28 December 2003 - Nottingham Forest 0-2 West Ham United
22 October 2003 - West Ham United 1-1 Nottingham Forest
4 January 2003 - West Ham United 3-2 Nottingham Forest (FA Cup third round)
Overall record v Nottingham Forest (all competitions) W 44 D 26 L 43
West Ham United
2010/11 Premier League 20th (33 points)
2009/10 Premier League 17th (35 points)
2008/09 Premier League 9th (51 points)
2007/08 Premier League 10th (49 points)
2006/07 Premier League 15th (41 points)
2005/06 Premier League 9th (55 points)
2004/05 Championship 6th (73 points - promoted to Premier League via play-offs)
2003/04 Championship 4th (74 points)
2002/03 Premier League 18th (42 points - relegated to Championship)
2001/02 Premier League 7th (53 points)
2010/11 Championship 6th (75 points)
2009/10 Championship 3rd (79 points)
2008/09 Championship 19th (53 points)
2007/08 League One 2nd (82 points - promoted to Championship)
2006/07 League One 4th (82 points)
2005/06 League One 7th (69 points)
2004/05 Championship 23rd (44 points - relegated to League One)
2003/04 Championship 14th (60 points)
2002/03 Championship 6th (74 points)
2001/02 Championship 16th (54 points)
• Sunday's referee will be Graham Salisbury.
• He took charge of two Nottingham Forest games last season. A 1-0 win at Derby County on 22 January 2011 and 1-1 draw at Doncaster Rovers on 2 October 2010.
• His last West Ham match was back on 4 December 2004, when the Hammers won 2-0 at Sunderland in the Championship thanks to goals from Marlon Harewood and Teddy Sheringham.
• Chris Cohen played 21 times in all competition for the Hammers between 2003 and 2006, having come through the youth ranks at the Boleyn Ground.
• Jim Barrett, Horace Brown, Franz Carr, Charlie Craig, Colin Foster, Marlon Harewood, Andy Melville, Ian Moore, Adam Nowland, Stuart Pearce, Teddy Sheringham and Fred Wallbanks are among those to have worn the colours of both West Ham United and Nottingham Forest.
• West Ham United resume after the international break against Portsmouth at the Boleyn Ground on 10 September, the first home 3pm Saturday kick-off of the season. The club have made it a Kids for a Quid fixture for all youngsters. Forest go to Southampton on the same afternoon.
• For ticket information, click here.
• Sunday's forecast in Nottingham is for a sunny afternoon with temperatures peaking around the 17C (63F) mark.