West Ham United Women held by Aston Villa

Aston Villa

West Ham United Women 0-0 Aston Villa Women
Barclays FA Women's Super League
Victoria Road
Tuesday 20 April 2021

West Ham United and Aston Villa battled it out for a point each at Victoria Road on Tuesday evening. 

The Hammers welcomed Marcus Bignot’s side in what was a crucial match in the Barclays FA Women’s Super League, as both teams looked to move themselves away from the relegation places. 

With a lot to lose for both sides, it was a cagey opening at Victoria Road. Aston Villa forward, Stine Larsen latched onto a long ball, but Gilly Flaherty was there to cover behind her defensive partner, Grace Fisk. 

Up the other end with 12 minutes gone, Gilly Flaherty had a chance to open the scoring from a corner kick, but the Hammers captain could only head wide of the target. 

It was a feisty affair in east London, as Vetterlien went into the book for what looked to be a clean challenge. Competitive challenge were flying in from both sides, as the ball exchanged hands in the opening 30 minutes.

A driving run from Kenza Dali almost found the feet of Dagny Brynjarsdottir in the area, but it was snuffed out by the Villa defence. 

The game was void of real clear-cut chances in the opening 45 minutes, as the two teams went into the break level pegging. 

After the break, the Hammers had the first real chance. Katerina Svitkova drove into space on the left and almost delivered to Byrnjarsdottir, but it was intercepted. 

Another golden opportunity arrived moments later, as a fantastic ball was delivered in by Dali, but Brynjarsdottir couldn’t apply the finishing touch. 

The game seemed to come alive in the second half, as the Hammers were the side that looked the most likely. A long free kick was knocked down into the path of Cecilie Redisch, but her effort was blocked behind for a corner. 

The game’s best chance came on 65 minutes, as Katerina Svitkova’s strike was well saved by Villa shot-stopper, Lisa Weiss.

After almost opening the scoring, Svitkova had to be withdrawn after picking up an injury. Maz Pacheco replaced the Czech Republic international, who hobbled off the pitch in east London. 

As the came went into the final stages, it was all West Ham United as they went in search of the winning goal. Flaherty went close once again and her header landed narrowly wide of the mark with eight minutes of normal time to play. 

Kenza Dali was next to try her luck, but her strike was once again blocked by a resolute Villa defence. 

The full time whistle sounded, with the Hammers unfortunate to have not grabbed a winner in the final stages. 

West Ham United: Brosnan, Redisch, Flaherty, Svitkova (Pacheco 77’), Longhurst, Dali, Fisk, Cissoko, van Egmond, Vetterlein (Thomas 55’), Brynjarsdottir. 

Unused Subs: Arnold, Ramsey, Mustafa, Barker, Denton, Beaufort.

Bookings: Vetterlein 22’ , Cissoko 57’

Aston Villa: Weiss, Ale, Franklin-Fraiture (Arthur 45’), N’Dow, Larsen, West, Hutton, Haigh, McLoughlin, Gregory (Hayles 63’), Iwabuchi (Syme 79') 

Unused Subs: Rodgers, Asante, Petzelberger, Siems, Silva, Ewers. 

Bookings: N’Dow 27’, Gregory 62’, Ale 90'

Read the reaction of West Ham United manager, Olli Harder by clicking here.