Tuesday 23 Jun
Updated Tuesday 23 Jun 13:00

#50GreatestMatches - #7 West Ham United 3-2 Preston North End


West Ham United celebrates its 125th anniversary on 29 June – and as part of our celebrations we're counting down to the date with the Club’s #50GreatestMatches – brought to you by Monster Energy!

Since the Hammers were formed as Thames Ironworks FC in 1895, we have played in excess of 5,500 matches – reaching five FA Cup finals - and one women's FA Cup final, lifting European silverware and competing across the globe and enjoying thousands of memorable moments.

With your help and recommendations, we've whittled down that list of 5,500 matches to a top 50, featuring landmark goals, trophies held aloft, heroic individual performances and remarkable collective efforts.

We continue the #50GreatestMatches countdown by looking back at the Hammers' first FA Cup victory back in 1964...




Ronnie Boyce's last-minute winner helped West Ham United to secure the first major trophy of their history after a titanic battle at Wembley on 2 May 1964.

Second Division Preston North End had started the match as underdogs against Ron Greenwood's men, but that counted for nothing as they twice took the lead and virtually matched the Hammers all the way.

However, it was the First Division Hammers, featuring two future FIFA World Cup winners and England forward Johnny Byrne, among others, who prevailed.

After just ten minutes, Preston opened the scoring when Howard Kendall - at 17 the youngest player to appear in an FA Cup final - started a move that was finished by Doug Holden after Jim Standen had failed to hold Ally Dawson's shot.

The Hammers hit straight back, though, when Byrne fed John Sissons and the young winger scored with a cross-shot.

'Budgie' then missed a great opportunity to put the Hammers in front and five minutes before the break Preston restored their advantage thanks to a powerful header from Dawson.

However, the Hammers replied again just seven minutes into the second half when Geoff Hurst's header hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down over the line.

As the game wore on and legs became tired, it was clear that the next goal would be all-important and, with just minutes remaining, the Hammers scored it. Hurst rode several tackles to find Brabrook wide on the right and the winger sent over a cross that East Ham-born Boyce met perfectly to nod into the corner.

Bobby Moore let the happy Hammers up the famous Wembley steps for the first time as winners, before raising the famous old trophy above his head.

West Ham United had won the FA Cup for the first time in their history - and the Hammers fans partied like never before.


Retro collection