Loan watch: Samuelsen scores twice for Haugesund

Martin Samuelsen

Norwegian forward Martin Samuelsen was the star of the show for FK Haugesund this weekend as he hit a second-half double at Kristiansund BK.

Having netted the crucial second goal for Haugesund in their midweek Norwegian Cup quarter-final win at Mjonalden – adding to his five previous strikes in the competition – the 22-year-old was duly rewarded by manager Jostein Grindhaug with his first start in Eliteserien since July.

After Kristiansund’s Amahl Pellegrino had given the home team the lead with an early run and crisp finish, Samuelsen took matters into his own hands, brilliantly directing Douglas Bergqvist’s in-swinging ball back across goal on 50 minutes.

Just 13 minutes later, Samuelsen gave the away side the advantage with an excellent solo effort, cutting in from the left-hand side and firing the ball in at the near post.

Whilst Torgil Gjertsen’s equaliser five minutes from time would deny Haugesund all three points, Samuelsen will be pleased with the form he is beginning to build in Eliteserien as his team moved seven points clear of the relegation zone.

In the Championship, Hammers loanees Jordan Hugill and Grady Diangana were on opposing sides as Queen's Park Rangers took on West Brom in a fiercely competitive game at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Diangana particularly impressed for the Baggies in the early exchanges, fizzing a lovely ball across the goalmouth after a quarter of an hour, while Hugill struggled for service as the Baggies pressed for the opening goal.

West Brom eventually capitalised in the second period when Nathan Ferguson’s dipping 25-yard strike gave them the lead, and Diangana came close to doubling the advantage soon after his stinging shot beaten away by Joe Lumley. Matheus Pereira ultimately sealed the game with six minutes remaining with a low free-kick.

The 2-0 win boosts West Brom to the top of the Championship table and preserves their nine-game unbeaten start to the Championship season, while QPR slip to ninth.

Also on the winning side was Josh Cullen as Charlton defeated fellow promotion rivals Leeds United 1-0 at the Valley.

The Republic of Ireland international played the full 90 minutes in midfield, and it was his whipped corner after 32 minutes that led to Lee Bowyer’s side taking the lead, a number of ricochets eventually seeing the ball in off Macauley Bonne.

Cullen later had a 25-yard free-kick saved by Kiko Casilla in the Leeds United goal, but a single goal proved enough to move Charlton one place up to sixth.

Josh Cullen

In League One, Nathan Trott and AFC Wimbledon endured another difficult afternoon as they went down 3-2 at Peterborough United.

The England U21 goalkeeper could do little about Marcus Maddison’s spectacular 29th-minute opener, and would later be beaten by two close-range finishes from Mohamed Eisa either side of half-time.

Mitchell Pinnock and Anthony Wordsworth twice reduced the deficit to a single goal in the second half, but despite Trott denying Eisa, Ivan Toney and Maddison, the defeat was sealed, leaving the Dons without a win so far this season.

Defender Ajibola Alese, meanwhile, was an unused substitute as Accrington Stanley defeated Southend United 1-0 at Roots Hall. 

In League Two, Oladapo Afolayan entered the action for a spirited Mansfield Town after 66 minutes, but couldn’t stop them from suffering a 1-0 home defeat to Plymouth.

Elsewhere in Scandinavia, playmaker Sead Haksabanovic played the full 90 minutes as Europe-chasing IFK Norrkoping won 2-0 away at relegation-threatened Falkenberg on Sunday.

Third Kit