Hammers fall to 3-2 defeat against Tottenham

Robert Snodgrass holds off Lucas Moura

West Ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Premier League

West Ham United mounted a late comeback but fell to a 3-2 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur at London Stadium on Saturday.

Three goals scored within 13 minutes either side of the interval put the visitors in control, as Heung-min Son, Lucas Moura and Harry Kane fired them into a 3-0 lead.

The Hammers welcomed Michail Antonio back from injury with a 45-minute appearance from the bench and he scored 14 minutes from time to give his side hope.

Angelo Ogbonna added a second deep into second half stoppage time, but by then it was too late to stop Tottenham from taking the points. 

Kane had the ball in the net as early as the third minute, but he made his dart into the box too early and the offside flag came to West Ham’s rescue.

Five minutes later, the Hammers threatened for the first time as Ryan Fredericks swung over a cross from the right. Sebastien Haller met it in the centre, but his header was half-blocked by Davinson Sanchez, allowing Paulo Gazzaniga to save.

Both sides felt each other out for the next phase of the game, before Tottenham hit the Hammers with a one-two sucker punch in the final nine minutes before the break.

Son opened the scoring, making a terrific run off Dele Alli’s shoulder to receive a pass from him inside the box and drill across Roberto into the bottom right hand corner.

Then, with two minutes of the first half remaining, Son turned provider, speeding down the left wing to provide a low cross to the far post, where his opposite wide-forward Lucas Moura slid in to prod home.

West Ham were rocked, and it was to get even worse four minutes after the restart when Kane made it three.

Lucas Moura had already wasted a one-on-one opportunity by the time Serge Aurier was allowed the time to measure a cross from the right for Kane to leap onto with a downward header that bounced up off the turf and into the roof of the net.

The Hammers’ bright spot was provided by Antonio, who came on at the break and pulled one back with 16 minutes remaining.

It was a neat finish from the No30 too, who took a pass from Noble at the edge of the box, turned and slammed into the bottom left corner.

West Ham looked to set up a grandstand finish and thought they had grabbed another a minute from time, but a VAR check ruled Declan Rice’s finish out.

Deep into injury time, they did score a second when Ogbonna knocked Robert Snodgrass’ corner home, but it was too late to deny the visitors.

West Ham United: Roberto, Fredericks, Diop (Sanchez 64), Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Noble, Snodgrass, Felipe Anderson (Antonio 46), Yarmolenko (Fornals 55), Haller
Subs: Martin, Zabaleta, Balbuena, Ajeti

Goals: Antonio 74, Ogbonna 90+6

Booked: Diop, Fredericks, Snodgrass

Tottenham Hotspur: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies (Rose 75), Dier, Winks, Son, Alli (Eriksen 79), Lucas Moura (Sissoko 82), Kane
Subs: Austin, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Lo Celso

Goals: Son 36, Lucas Moura 43, Kane 49

Booked: Davies, Kane

Referee: Michael Oliver

Attendance: 59,930