Battling West Ham fall in Women's FA Cup Final to Man City



West Ham United’s FA Cup journey ended in defeat against Manchester City in the Final at Wembley Stadium. 

The Hammers had their chances in the game with the best chance falling to Jane Ross on 29 minutes, but her header was saved by Karen Bardsley.

City then got their first on 52 minutes when Keira Walsh fired a speculative effort at goal the Anna Moorhouse couldn’t keep out.

The second goal for City came in the closing stages when Georgia Stanway fired a shot in to the bottom corner. They then scored their third goal on 88 minutes with a counter attack that Lauren Hemp scored at the end of.

It was Manchester City who looked to threaten early. Nikita Parris was able to get in behind the Hammers defence, but a well held line saw the official raise her flag.

A minute later Ross was behind the City defence, but as she looked to cut in to shoot, she couldn’t quite keep the ball in play.

Flaherty looked to assert her dominance on the game with a crunching tackle on Parris to deny her a one on one opportunity.

Alisha Lehmann was proving to be a threat on the wing with her pace and skill, as she beat the wing backs on numerous occasions.

It was just before the 30-minute mark when the Hammers best chance of the first-half came. Ross played a great ball out wide to Erin Simon who put in a great cross to Ross, but the Scotland international saw her header well saved by Bardsley.

Six minutes later Lehmann had her claims for a penalty dismissed by the referee, despite the winger’s best efforts to have the penalty given.

Gilly Flaherty was proving to be a vital figure in the middle of the defence with another great defensive block to stop Jill Scott from firing a shot at goal.

The Hammers started the second-half brightly when Adriana Leon and Lehmann linked up well and the no7 played in a great cross that just evaded Leon in the box.

However, City opened the scoring on 52 minutes. Walsh fired a speculative long-range effort at goal, that moved in the air and was able to beat Moorhouse.

On 66 minutes Leon was looking threatening on the wing and played in a dangerous and powerful cross, but no one was there to meet it.

Four minutes later, substitute Leanne Kiernan used her pace to break away and find Lehmann. The Swiss winger could only fire straight at Bardlsey.

City then doubled their lead on 81 minutes through Stanway. She was able to cut in from the left side of the box and curl a shot in to the bottom right corner. 

Hemp then made it three two minutes before full-time. A long ball over the top reached Hemp and she played it in to the goal past Moorhouse who was off her line.

Manchester City: Bardsley; Stokes, Beattie, Houghton (C), Scott, Stanway, Parris (Hemp 82), Weir (Emslie 85), McManus, Walsh, Wullaert

Subs not used: Roebuck, Bonner, Bremer, Beckie, Campbell, 

West Ham United: Moorhouse, Percival, Simon (Kmita 89), Hendrix, Flaherty (C), Lehmann, Ross (Kiernan 65), Rafferty (Visalli 61), Longhurst, Leon, Cho

Subs not used: Spencer, Sampson, Reichardt