Late heartbreak for Hammers in Everton defeat

Hendrix WHUW


West Ham United women's team suffered a late heartbreak on Wednesday as an 88-minute strike from Everton’s Hannah Cain won the points for the Toffees. 

The Irons dominated much of the first-half with the possession and chances. Kate Longhurst had a couple of half chances, while Gilly Flaherty had an attempt at goal saved on the line by Kirstie Levell.

Reichardt had the best chance of the second-half for the Hammers with a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area, but she fired in to the arms of Levell. While Everton hit the bar with an effort from Taylor Hinds. However, it was in the closing moments when Cain raced through on goal and slotted it past Anna Moorhouse that won Everton the game.

The first clear chance came on 20 minutes for the Irons. Leanne Kiernan played a driven cross towards the edge of the box, but Longhurst’s attempt to latch on to it was well cut out by the Everton defender.

Five minutes later some great one touch play from the Hammers allowed Erin Simon to whip in a great cross. Longhurst again looked to get on the end of it, but the defender was quick to head it away. 

Just before the half hour mark West Ham had their best chance. A corner came in and after the ball pinballed around in the box it eventually fell to Flaherty and somehow her shot was kept off the line by Levell.

Then moments later, Alisha Lehmann had a great chance to score the opener. Cho So-Hyun’s deflected shot fell to the winger, but her near post effort was well saved.

Everton’s first opportunity came just before half-time when Hinds looked clear through on goal, but Brooke Hendrix’s pace allowed her to catch the attacker and slide in to win a goal kick.

The start of the second-half saw Everton come out very attacking. Moorhouse spilled an early shot but was quick to pounce on to the rebound. 

On 51 minutes Kiernan showed some great pace to drive in to the Everton half and she played in Jane Ross who couldn’t quite reach the ball. However, the referee pulled it back for a free-kick, which Reichardt fired straight at the goalkeeper.

Three minutes later Everton had another chance when Hinds hit the bar with a long-range effort.

The breakthrough came two minutes before full-time when substitute Cain raced behind the Hammers defence to score the winning goal.

The Irons pushed for a late equaliser, but it proved to be the Toffees evening as they took all three points back up to Merseyside.

West Ham United: Moorhouse; Percival, Flaherty (C), Hendrix, Simon, Reichardt (Visalli 72), Longhurst, So-Hyun, Lehmann (Leon 68), Ross, Kiernan (Kmita 90+3)

Subs not used: Spencer, Rafferty, Sampson

Everton: Levell; Turner, Brougham, Worm, George (C), Magill, Stringer, Hinds (Bryson 77), Finnigan, Bruinenberg (James 70), Brownlie (Cain 70)

Subs not used: Flaherty, Slater, Gillin

Goals: Cain 88