First half flurry gives West Ham pre-season win over Charlton

Esmee De Graaf


West Ham United's women's team got their first win of pre-season as they beat FA Women’s Championship side Charlton Athletic 4-0.

FInishes from Jane Ross, Brianna Visalli, Esmee De Graaf and a trialist put the Hammers in firm control of the fixture, with all four goals coming in the opening period. 

Head coach Matt Beard will be thrilled to see his side claim victory in such fashion, with less than two weeks to go until the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

West Ham got the game underway in great fashion, with the Irons getting their first goal of the game within ten seconds of the kick-off.

Some high pressing from the first whistle by the West Ham attack saw them win the ball. Ross was then played in behind the Charlton defence and she coolly finished to give the Hammers the lead.

Five minutes later West Ham got their second goal of the game, giving the team a two goal-cushion after just six minutes. One of today’s trialists played in Visalli and, similar to Ross, she calmly passed the ball in to the back of the net.

West Ham continued their high-pressure style of play and on seven minutes they almost got the reward of a third strike. The Charlton goalkeeper was forced in to a mistake and gifted the Irons a corner, but the resulting set-piece came to nothing.

Ross and Flaherty

On eight minutes Charlton had a chance to get a goal back, but Gilly Flaherty shielded the ball well and played it back to Becky Spencer in goal for her to clear up field.

West Ham continued to look the more likely to score and, on 16 minutes, Reichardt played a great cross field ball to De Graaf, but it was just out of her reach and Charlton won the goal kick.

On 27 minutes, the Irons got another goal. Again, Ross continued to put pressure on the goalkeeper and force her in to a mistake. This time the goalkeeper’s clearance fell to the feet of one of the trialists and she passed the ball in to an empty net, giving West Ham their third.

A minute later it became 4-0 to West Ham. De Graaf was perfectly positioned inside the penalty area and a cross played in to her was headed home to give the Hammers a comfortable lead.

On 38 minutes Charlton were through on goal and looked likely to score, but some great defending from Flaherty again prevented the Addicks getting their first goal.

Going in at half-time West Ham had a comfortable and well-earned 4-0 lead over the south-east London side.

West Ham got the second half underway and looked to start off strong again. The trialist picked up the ball, evaded the whole Charlton midfield and looked to go the whole way only to be stopped on the 18-yard box by the defence.

On 58 minutes Spencer pulled off a heroic save, as she tipped the ball over the crossbar and ensured her clean sheet stayed intact. 

One of today’s trialist then got in behind the Charlton defence and fired a shot at goal, but Charlton’s keeper got down well and saved the shot.

West Ham continued to probe in the second half but could not find the killer pass to get their fifth goal of the game, as Charlton’s defence held firm.

West Ham United: Spencer; Trialist, Hendrix, Flaherty, Rafferty; Reichardt, Visalli, Simic; Trialist, Ross, De Graaf

Substitutes: Trialist, Moorhouse, Sampson, Kmita

Goals: Ross 1', Visalli 6', Trialist 27', De Graaf 28'

*Season Tickets for West Ham United's first season in the Women’s Super League are now on sale, starting from just £15!
Come and enjoy the top tier of the women's game at Rush Green with the Hammers this season. Pick up your Season Ticket from the link here!