Loan round up



  • Reece Burke and Kyle Knoyle helped Wigan record a first Championship away win of the season
  • Stephen Hendrie was in action for Blackburn in the Championship in their 1-1 draw
  • Josh Cullen helped Bradford City record a seventh win of the season in League One

With the help of Hammers loanees Reece Burke and Kyle Knoyle, Wigan Athletic picked up a crucial first away win of the season on Saturday, beating Cardiff City by a single goal in Wales.
Burke played the full 90 minutes for the Latics, while Knoyle – making his first appearance for the side having recovered from an injury which ruled the him out of action during the summer – was introduced for the final minute in the Welsh capital.
And it was a late strike which won the tie for manager-less Wigan in the Championship, as Jordi Gomez struck following David Perkins’ assist with just four minutes of normal time remaining.
The Tics remain in the relegation zone, but are now just one point behind Saturday’s opponents who are hovering nervously above the bottom three.
Elsewhere in the Championship, Stephen Hendrie played his first Blackburn Rovers game since August as he featured during the final 18 minutes of the side’s 1-1 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Sam Gallagher struck early in the first half at Ewood Park, and Blackburn looked as if they had done enough for all three points until David Edwards nodded Wolves level with 12 minutes left on the clock.
Martin Samuelsen – also on loan with Owen Coyle’s outfit – was an unused substitute.
Down a division in League One, Josh Cullen – a key player for Bradford City throughout the current campaign – played in his side’s 3-2 away win over AFC Wimbledon.
The Bantams, who remain hot on the heels of automatic promotion-chasing Scunthorpe United and Bolton Wanderers, took the lead after three minutes thanks to Jordy Hiwula’s fifth of the season.


The Dons pulled themselves level on 18 minutes through Tom Elliot, and with 22 minutes remaining, gave themselves the lead from the penalty spot when Lyle Taylor converted from 12 yards.
Stuart McCall’s men – now without Cullen, who left the field on 70 minutes – were determined, however, not to lose only their second league game of the season, and James Hanson – also from the spot – made it 2-2.
And two minutes into injury time, Hanson became the late hero for City, meeting Stephen Darby’s cross to give the visitors all three points in south west London.
Two more Hammers loanees went head-to-head in League One, as Walsall and Coventry City battled it out, prompting the meeting of George Dobson and Lewis Page.
Midfielder Dobson was left on the Saddlers’ bench however, while Page played the full 90 minutes in the 1-1 draw at the Bescot Stadium.
Andy Rose gave Coventry the lead eight minutes before the break before Erhun Oztumer, with 14 minutes left, levelled from just inside the box.
Finally in the third tier, Josh Pask played nine minutes as a substitute for Gillingham, though they were beaten 2-1 at Fleetwood Town.
David Ball and Ash Hunter scored for the hosts either side of Jake Hessenthaler’s 52nd minute strike.
Lastly, Doneil Henry played seven minutes for Danish side AC Horsens on loan in their Superliga defeat to Sønderjyske.