All the essential info ahead of Tuesday's game against Aston Villa
The backgroundIt’s back to the Barclays Premier League on Tuesday when West Ham United host bottom club Aston Villa in a 7.45pm kick-off.
The teams last met only on Boxing Day, when Aaron Cresswell’s goal on the stroke of half time was cancelled out by Jordan Ayew’s penalty for a 1-1 draw.
The Hammers are protecting a ten-game unbeaten home record, which has seen them win five and draw five since last tasting defeat in E13, way back in August to AFC Bournemouth.
Villa’s difficult season continued at the weekend with a 4-0 Emirates FA Cup defeat to Manchester City, although they have enjoyed slightly better fortune in the league in recent weeks, not losing in their last three.
Victory over Crystal Palace ended a five-month wait for maximum points, and they have followed that with draws against Midlands rivals Leicester City and West Bromwich Albion.
They are still six point adrift at the foot of the table and ten shy of safety, while West Ham go into the Boleyn Ground contest hoping to move back into the division’s top five.
The historyThe historical record between the Hammers and Villa is very evenly matched, with West Ham having won 39 of the 110 contests, Villa 38 and the remaining 33 ending all square.
The Hammers have not conceded in their three home games against the Villans since winning promotion back to the top flight in 2012, triumphing 1-0 in 2012/13 and drawing 0-0 in the last two seasons.
Hammers defender James Collins spent three years at Villa Park between 2009-12, playing 108 games for the Club before returning to West Ham for his second spell in E13.
West Ham UnitedWest Ham will need to check on James Tomkins’ fitness after the defender suffered a facial injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Liverpool.
Andy Carroll, Manuel Lanzini and Diafra Sakho are all getting closer to returns, but Tuesday’s game will come around too early for the trio.
Adrian missed Saturday’s game at Liverpool to attend the birth of his first child, but will return to the fold in time for the visit of Aston Villa.
New arrival Emmanuel Emenike, meanwhile, is awaiting international clearance following his loan move from Al Ain.
Aston VillaFor Villa, manager Remi Garde, he is likely to be without Carlos Sanchez and forwards Libor Kozak and Rudy Gestede.
Defender Alan Hutton and midfielder Ashley Westwood are also fitness doubts.
- Tuesday’s match referee is Jonathan Moss. The Tyne and Wear-based official has refereed 21 games this term, dishing out 63 yellow cards. Two of the three reds he has issued this year have been in Hammers games – one to Carl Jenkinson against Bournemouth and another to Nemanja Matic as West Ham defeated Chelsea 2-1. Simon Bennett and Jake Collin are the assistant referees while Mike Dean is the fourth official.
- There have been just five goals scored in the last five Premier League meetings, with the fixture at Upton Park ending goalless in each of the previous two seasons.
- Aston Villa managed a season's best eight shots on target against West Ham in the reverse fixture on Boxing Day.
- The Hammers have only lost one of their last 10 league matches (W3, D6).
- They are enjoying a nine-match unbeaten run at home in the Premier League game (W4, D5).
- Fourteen players have scored a Premier League goal for West Ham United this season, a joint-high with Chelsea.
- Their only away win in the last 14 attempts came at Bournemouth on the opening day of the season (W1, D3, L10).
- The Villans have scored just eight goals in 12 Premier League games under Remi Garde.
Tickets, travel, coverage and other info
- Tickets for Tuesday’s game have SOLD OUT, although they may become available online as Season Ticket Holders relist.
- The District and Hammersmith & City lines are set to serve Upton Park station as normal on Tuesday.
- A clear night is expected on Tuesday, with temperature at a chilly 6C (43F) at kick-off.
- If you are not heading to the game, make sure you follow the action on our digital channels. The whufc.com Live Match Centre has audio commentary and text updates, in-running stats, photos and more, and you can get involved with the conversation on social using #WHUAVL