Antonio late show crushes Cherries


Michail Antonio stole the headlines as he scored a dramatic late winner to hand West Ham their first ever Premier League victory at the new Stadium with a 1-0 win over Bournemouth.

Antonio wrote his name into the record books when he became the first ever scorer for the Club at their new home in the top flight and it was a moment to remember for the talented winger.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until Gokhan Tore picked up the ball down the left hand side on 84 minutes and played in a superb cross towards the far post.

Antonio rose above the Bournemouth defence and directed an unstoppable header into the back of the net to hand West Ham a memorable first victory in the top flight this season.

The Hammers winger is no stranger to scoring big goals for the Club having scored the winner against Tottenham last season and also got on the scoresheet in the final ever game at the Boleyn Ground.

It was always going to be an emotional day for the Hammers as they played the first Premier League at the new Stadium, but Slaven Bilic and his players marked the occasion with all three points.

The London Stadium became the 55th different venue to host a Premier League game and the Club record attendance of 57,977 fans who were present made it a day to remember with a superb atmosphere.

Despite having to make a number of changes to the side, Slaven Bilic's side still created the best openings in the first half and could have taken the lead after just seven minutes.

Michail Antonio was employed in a more attacking role playing down the left hand side and caused all kinds of problems for the Bournemouth defence with his pace and trickery.

The ball eventually fell to Gokhan Tore who curled a shot just past the post.

Another new signing Arthur Masuaku looked impressive once again at left back and tried his luck from 30-yards but the ball flew well wide of the post.

The Hammers continued to dominate and came close again on 36 minutes.

Tore broke free into the Bournemouth half and raced towards goal before laying the ball into the path of Antonio who struck his shot into the side netting.

The home side came the closest to breaking the deadlock on 40 minutes when Enner Valencia struck a shot from the tightest of angles but his shot produced a fine save from Artur Boruc diving away to his left hand side.

Bournemouth created their first major chance on 53 minutes when Joshua King broke free in the West Ham half and fired a shot which produced a superb one handed save from Adrian diving away to his left hand side.

The Hammers came close again on 59 minutes when Mark Noble released Antonio down the left hand side and his first time cross picked out Tore who struck an acrobatic volley inches past the post.

Bournemouth were reduced to ten-men on 77 minutes when Harry Arter picked up his second yellow card of the game following a reckless challenge on Cheikhou Kouyate.

The Hammers made the extra man count as they scored the decisive winner on 85 minutes.

Tore did superbly well to cross in from the left hand side and Antonio rose the highest at the far post to direct a powerful header into the back of the net.

The Hammers produced a great piece of defending in injury time to hold onto the three points as Adrian produced a fine save to stop King's shot and when the rebound fell to Simon Francis, his powerful goalbound shot was superbly blocked by Winston Reid.

New signing Jonathan Calleri also had a chance to seal the victory when he was clean through on goal but he fired his shot inches past the post.

West Ham held on to record a crucial victory and will now prepare for the second leg of the Europa League Play-Off game against Astra Giurgiu on Thursday night.

West Ham: Adrian; Byram, Reid, Collins, Masuaku; Kouyate, Nordtveit (Fletcher 79), Noble; Tore (Obiang 89), Valencia (Calleri 63), Antonio

Subs not used: Randolph, Ogbonna, Burke, Oxford

Bookings: Byram, Reid

Bournemouth: Boruc; Adam Smith, Francis, Steve Cook, Daniels; Fraser (Gosling 86), Surman, Arter; Ibe (Ake 78), Callum Wilson (Grabban 74), King

Subs not used: Afobe, Gradel, Brad Smith, Federici

Bookings: Arter, Cook

Sent Off: Arter

Referee: Craig Pawson

Attendance: 56,977