Five Talking Points - Thames Ironworks Commemorative Kit

We take a look at the similarities between the West Ham United we know today and Thames Ironworks FC following the release of the Club’s new Commemorative kit…
Thames Ironworks secured silverware in their all-blue kit during their first season of existence, as they lifted the West Ham Charity Cup in 1895/96. Barking Woodville were the side who were beaten, however it took three attempts after two previous draws.
And the Hammers will be looking to emulate their forefathers and win their own silverware in the commemorative kit this week as they take on Juventus in Sunday’s Betway Cup tie at the new Stadium on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

The Old Lady have plenty of silverware in the trophy cabinet themselves, and won the league and cup double in Italy last season.
The Hammers will want to bounce back after last season’s disappointment in the competition, in which they lost 2-1 to German side Werder Bremen at the Boleyn Ground.

In their blue strip, Thames Ironworks enjoyed major success as a football club, and West Ham United will hope their upcoming season will see similar triumphs at their new home.
In the side’s first ever season back in 1895/96, as well as winning the previously mentioned West Ham Charity Cup, the team were victorious in 30 of their 46 matches that campaign.
After last season’s achievements, which saw the Hammers finish seventh in the Premier League – their best final league placing for 14 years – the Club and Slaven Bilic’s side will be keen to continue their success on the football pitch.
New multi-sports arena
As West Ham United move into their new London Stadium this season, it almost mirrors the switch made by Thames Ironworks back in 1897, as they moved into a new venue themselves – the Memorial Grounds in West Ham.
Of course, wearing their all-blue strip, Thames Ironworks began to play their football in the Memorial Grounds – a facility that could house more than 100,000 spectators – that summer.
Like the Hammers’ new home, the Memorial Grounds was a multi-sports arena which played host to many other events. A banked cycle track surrounded the pitch, and, like the Club’s new Stadium, was home to athletics as well.
Tennis courts, cricket pitches and outdoor swimming pools were also on the Grounds and 119 years later, many of the same activities and sports take place on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
The Thames Ironworks’ kit featured the Union Jack badge from 1896/97 onwards, as does the Hammers’ new commemorative strip.
Founder of the side Arnold Hills had many passions, with patriotism being among them. The addition of the flag signalled this, and the red streaks throughout the strip is also reflected in Umbro’s new release.
The kit also features a classic buttoned collar, and the crossed hammers logo is proudly displayed on the neck of the shirt.
Ambitious owners
Arnold Hills established Thames Ironworks FC back in the 19th century and the local businessman clearly wanted the best for local people. As a keen promoter of healthy living and exercise, Hills was keen for his workers to become involved in communal activities.
The current West Ham owners want and advocate affordable football for all the Club’s supporters and those who have secured tickets for the Club’s Betway Cup fixture against Juventus will be the first to experience that at the new Stadium on Sunday.