West Ham United 1-2 Manchester United

The Hammers fell to a narrow defeat to Manchester United on Wednesday

Manchester United spoiled the party as goals from Marcus Rashford and Marouane Fellaini helped them reach the FA Cup semi finals with a 2-1 win over West Ham in the final ever cup game at the Boleyn Ground.

Despite a late goal from James Tomkins which got the Hammers back into the game and a disallowed effort from Cheikhou Kouyate right at the death, the home side failed to find a way back after United had raced into a two goal lead.

There was disappointment all round the stadium at the final whistle, but this has been some season for Slaven Bilic's side who enjoyed a memorable run in the FA Cup and still stand a great chance of securing a European place.

It proved to be an emotional night under the lights in the East End as the fans said goodbye to cup football inside the famous old stadium.

The atmosphere was electric as the two teams entered the field and you could sense what was at stake for both teams.

The Hammers players seemed to thrive off the noise emanating from the home support and had a strong start to the game.

They could have broken the deadlock after just five minutes when Manuel Lanzini played a clever ball into Enner Valencia who burst clear into the box but he fired his shot straight at David De Gea.

After scoring a wonder goal at Old Trafford in the original tie, the crowd drew their breathe as the home side were awarded a set-piece in a similar position to where the French superstar scored from in Manchester on nine minutes.

Payet was able to get his free-kick on target once again, but this time his curling shot was well saved from David De Gea moving well to his right hand side.

United came back strong into the game and came close on 14 minutes when Marcus Rashford's deflected shot off Angelo Ogbonna flew just wide of the post.

Ogbonna came to the home side's rescue once again on 18 minutes when he was in the right place to deny Marouane Fellaini's close-range shot.

United continued to create the best openings and Darren Randolph made a superb save to deny Jesse Lingard on 34 minutes who was clean through but saw his low drive well kept out by the Hammers keeper diving low to his right.

Bilic would have wanted a response from his players in the second half, but it was United who almost broke the deadlock once again on 48 minutes when Lingard found space on the edge of the box and fired a blistering shot just wide of the post.

The Hammers finally found a route back on goal and Kouyate tried his luck from 35 yards with a dipping shot which produced a fine save from De Gea diving low to his right.

But United's dominance paid off when they found the breakthrough on 53 minutes.

Michail Antonio's poor clearance fell to Martial who played the ball into Rashford who weaved his way to the edge of the box before curling a right foot shot past Randolph into the roof of the net.

United doubled their lead on 67 minutes when Lingard's cross picked out Martial who saw his wayward shot fall to Fellaini and he converted from close-range.

The Hammers have shown on a number of occasions this season that they are never beaten and were handed a major lifeline when they pulled a goal back on 78 minutes.

Payet's corner fell to Antonio who saw his shot superbly kept out by De Gea.

From the resulting corner, Payet's deep cross fell to Carroll who headed the ball back across goal and Tomkins reacted the quickest to head the ball over the line.

The Hammers threw everything at the United goal in the final quarter as they looked to grab the all-important equaliser.

Carroll had a golden chance on 87 minutes when Aaron Cresswell's cross picked out the Hammers striker who directed a powerful header inches over the bar.

And the home side came even close sixty seconds later when they had the ball in the United net.

Carroll's shot was kept out by De Gea and the rebound fell to Kouyate who headed the ball over the United keeper but his effort was ruled out for offside.

That proved to be the last chance for the Hammers and unfortunately the FA Cup journey came to a cruel end in the last ever cup match to be witnessed at the Boleyn Ground.

West Ham: Randolph, Antonio, Tomkins, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Kouyate, Noble, Valencia (Moses 62), Lanzini (Emenike 74), Payet, Carroll

Subs not used: Adrian, Obiang, Collins, Hendrie, Oxford

Bookings: Carroll

Manchester United: De Gea, Fosu-Mensah, Smalling, Blind, Rojo (A Valencia 67), Fellaini, Carrick, Lingard, Ander Herrera (Schneiderlin 76), Martial, Rashford (Rooney 88)

Subs not used: Depay, Mata, Young, Romero

Bookings: Carrick, Rojo, Herrera

Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire)

Attendance: 33,505