Controversial end to Ladies' clash

West Ham Ladies marked International Ladies Day with a 0-0 draw away to Plymouth Argyle on Sunday afternoon.

During the opening half, the Hammers caused Plymouth plenty of problems with the attacking threat of Vicky Kinsman, Emma Sherwood and Kelley Blanchflower, however it was midfielder Adele Sale who had one of the best chances for West Ham after drawing a strong save out of the home goalkeeper.

After the half time break, the Hammers continued to pressure their Devon hosts as they looked for the opening goal of the game, where the Hammers saw two shots cleared off the line and substitute Gemma Abela was also denied by an acrobatic save.

However, after dominating throughout the match and having the better chances in front of goal, the Hammers were denied all three points when Danica Revells headed goal was disallowed in injury time after the full time whistle was blown as the ball headed towards goal.

Hammers boss Julian Dicks made three changes to the side that suffered semi final heartbreak away to Preston a week earlier.

Goalkeeper Nikki Duncan returned to the starting line up in place of Nikita Runnacles, whilst Blanchflower also made a comeback to the Hammers' starting XI to replace Jade Smith and Katie Bottom was the preferred choice at full back instead of Vicki King.

With the FA Womens Premier League Plate defeat still fresh in the players memory, the visitors were hoping to return to winning ways against a side they defeated 5-2 at home back in late September.

The opening stages didnt indicate that a similar result was on the cards, as both teams were struggling to keep the ball on the surface and play on a rough pitch.

West Ham did have the better of the chances during the first period though, with Sales low shot that was saved by Plymouth keeper Michaela Phillips being the most noticeable chance for either side.

In the early stages of the second half, Dicks made his only change of the game as he introduced Development Squad midfielder Abela to the game, who instantly made an impact when the ball fell to her feet from a corner, but Phillips was again on form to deny the visitors.

Still the Hammers pushed and they went close on two more occasions, but Plymouth stood strong and managed to clear both efforts off the line.

In the final seconds of the game, the Hammers thought they had scored the winning goal of the game. As a corner was taken, centre back Revell rose well to head home, only to realise that the referee had already blown the full time whistle as the ball entered the Plymouth penalty area.

The Hammers will look to pick up their first FA Womens Premier League South victory since early January when they host Queens Park Rangers on Sunday 15 March. The match has been moved to AFC Hornchurchs stadium on Bridge Avenue, with kick off scheduled for 2pm.

West Ham United Ladies: Duncan, Bottom, Baxter, Revell, Stimson, Bowers, Little (c), Sale (Abela), Blanchflower, Kinsman, Sherwood.
Subs not used: Mellors, Runnacles, King.