Carroll brace secures third straight win

Barclays Premier League
West Ham United 3-1 Swansea City

Andy Carroll scored twice as West Ham United secured their eigth win of the season, beating Swansea City 3-1 at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday.  

Having gone a goal down through Wilfried Bony's 19th goal of 2014, the Hammers responded emphatically as Carroll scored two headers before Diafra Sakho sealed the win with a fierce shot late in the second half. 

The Hammers had several chances with Kevin Nolan and Enner Valencia going close in the early stages. Alex Song, returning to the side from injury, also proved to be an influential figure as he began to pull the strings in midfield.

However it was the visitors who took a surprise lead through top goal scorer Bony with their first attack of the game. The Ivorian international opened the scoring with an assured finish following a neat one-two between Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jefferson Montero.

The Hammers appeared to be stung by going a goal down yet they regrouped and continued to forge several chances towards the end of the second half.

Following his winner against Newcastle United last Saturday, Aaron Cresswell looked set to double his tally when he headed Stewart Downing's pinpoint cross toward the top corner however Swansea goalkeeper Fabianski was on hand to save well.

In the 41st minute, the Hammers' scored a deserved equaliser through Andy Carroll as he rose highest to head home Carl Jenkinson's superb cross. The right-back curled in an inch-perfect delivery for the No9 to score his first goal of the campaign.

The Hammers started the second half much like the first as they put the Swans under early pressure. Jenkinson and Downing continued to supply excellent service to the front men yet the Swansea defence stood resolute.  

Cresswell created an excellent chance as he single handedly beat two men and drilled a cross into the six yard box. Unfortunately for the Hammers the delivery was just a fraction ahead of the onrushing Carroll.

The visitors responded with a chance of their own moments later when Swansea's counter attack resulted in Bony clipping the crossbar from the edge of the box.

West Ham's top goal scorer this season, Sakho, made a welcome return to the Boleyn Ground, replacing Enner Valencia at half-time. The striker's pace proved too much for Swansea to handle and it was not long before a sublime bit of skill won his side a corner.

From Downing's resulting delivery, the Hammers took the lead through Carroll's second of the afternoon as he headed into the left hand corner despite Leon Britton's best attempts to clear off the line.

Having been out of action for the majority of the season, Carroll wheeled away in delight as raced away to celebrate with the West Ham bench.

Two minutes later Sakho's pace created more havoc as he knocked the ball past Fabianski. Despite crashing into the forward, Sakho managed to shoot from a tight angle, hitting the inside of the post and away.

Having played the advantage, referee Chris Foy pulled the game back for the foul and sent Fabianski off. 

Despite Swansea's best efforts to equalise, Sakho secured the victory in the final minutes as he lashed home ferociously as he burst through the Swansea defence.

West Ham United: Adrian, Reid, Cresswell, Nolan (c), Tomkins, Kouyate (Collins 86), Carrol, Downing, Jenkinson (O'Brien 79), Song, Valencia (Sakho 45)
Subs: Jaaskelainen, Zarate, Amalfitano, Cole

Goals: Carroll 41, 66, Sakho 87

Swansea City: Fabianski, Ki, Williams (c), Britton (Tremmel 71), Bony, Routledge, Montero (Gomis 75), Rangel (Dyer 86), Sigurdsson, Bartley, Richards
Subs: Amat, Shelvey, Carroll, Tiendalli

Goals: Bony 19

Booked: Routledge

Sent off: Fabianski

Referee: Chris Foy