On this day - 10 June

Anniversary (1)

Brazil 3-1 England
FIFA World Cup quarter-final
10 June 1962, Estadio Sausalito, Vina Del Mar, Chile

West Ham United's Bobby Moore was only 21 and playing just his fifth game for England when they faced the mighty Brazil in the 1962 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals.

Brazil were without Pele, who had injured himself attempting a long-range shot in the group stage, but the South Americans still possessed a huge array of talent for Moore and his team-mates to deal with.

The young centre-half partnered Tottenham Hotspur's Maurice Norman at the heart of the England defence and things initially went well for Walter Winterbottom's side. Garrincha put Brazil in front on 31 minutes, but Italian-based striker Gerry Hitchens levelled matters before half-time.

After the break, however, it was a different story as goals from Vava and Garrincha put the game out of England's reach by the hour-mark. For the young Moore, the game and the 1962 tournament as a whole served as a footballing education that undoubtedly aided his development.

Every West Ham supporter knows that Moore put that education to good use on home turf four years later...

Anniversary (2)

Mike Beesley
Born: 10 June 1942, Epping Forest, England
Clubs: West Ham United, Southend United, Peterborough United, Southend United, Dover

Mike Beesley played more than 200 times for Southend United, scoring nearly 50 goals for the Essex side during two spells with the Shrimpers.

Before that, Beesley came through the ranks at West Ham United, playing alongside Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Jack Burkett, Eddie Bovington and Tony Scott as the Hammers were edged out 2-1 on aggregate by Blackburn Rovers in the 1959 FA Youth Cup final.

A first-team debut arrived the following year in a 4-1 Division One defeat at Everton on 24 September 1960. It proved to be a memorable afternoon for the 18-year-old forward, as he scored West Ham's goal in front of a bumper crowd of 46,291 at Goodison Park.

Unfortunately for Beesley, his second appearance in claret and blue also turned out to be his last - a 4-1 Division One defeat at Blackburn on 20 March 1961. The young forward was allowed to join Southend in July 1962, just a month past his 20th birthday.