On this day - 24 February


Name: Bobby Moore OBE
Died: 24 February 1993
National team: England
Clubs: West Ham United, Fulham, San Antonio Thunder, Seattle Sounders, Herning Fremad

Bobby Moore OBE, West Ham United's most famous player and England's 1966 World Cup-winning captain, died on 24 February 1993. The central defender made 646 league and cup appearances for the Hammers, scoring 27 goals.

Moore was born in Barking on 12 April 1941, making his debut for his local club in a 3-2 win over Manchester United at the Boleyn Ground as a 17-year-old on 8 September 1958. It was the start of a glittering career that is remembered fondly by football fans the world over.

As a West Ham player, Moore lifted the FA Cup in 1964 and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1965. A year later, he was back at Wembley to complete an unforgettable hat-trick by lifting the Jules Rimet Trophy following England's 4-2 victory over West Germany.

Moore would go on to star at the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico before moving to Fulham, for whom he played against the Hammers in the 1975 FA Cup final. Following his retirement, Moore moved first into management and then into the world of broadcasting before his life was cut short by cancer in February 1993. He was just 51.

Since his death, Moore's widow Stephanie has worked tirelessly to raise awareness and to fund research into bowel cancer by founding the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK. The Bobby Moore Fund raises vital funds for research into bowel cancer and works to increase public awareness of the disease. To find out more about the Bobby Moore Fund and how you can support its work, please click here.

Classic Match

West Ham United 2-0 Nottingham Forest
Division One
24 February 1971

Bobby Moore may have been best known for his calm, assured defending, but his set-piece taking was another part of his game that was well above average. In the 1966 FIFA World Cup final, his quick free-kick had led to England's opening goal at Wembley, scored by West Ham United team-mate Geoff Hurst.

The pair were at it again in this Division One fixture at the Boleyn Ground, with Moore's free-kick being headed past Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Jim Barron to open the scoring in a comfortable 2-0 victory for Ron Greenwood's Hammers.

The match, played on this date in 1971, also marked the debut of Bryan 'Pop' Robson, who celebrated his £120,000 transfer from Newcastle United by adding a second goal on 56 minutes by converting Harry Redknapp's chip to the near post. Victory over Forest would prove crucial as West Ham finished just one place above the relegation zone in 20th position.