WEST HAM UNITED v MIDDLESBROUGH
TUESDAY 20 MARCH 2012
• West Ham United welcome Middlesbrough to the Boleyn Ground on Tuesday evening looking to continue their impressive unbeaten run at home that stretches back nine games to the beginning of December.
• Middlesbrough travel to east London looking to bounce back from two defeats in a row at the hands of Leeds United and Birmingham City.
• The fixture between the two sides at The Riverside earlier this season in November saw West Ham United gain a valuable three points with a 2-0 win courtesy of goals from Carlton Cole and Freddie Piquionne.
• West Ham sit in third place in the npower Championship table only three points off an automatic promotion spot whilst Middlesbrough are in the final play-off place level on points with both Birmingham and Blackpool.
• Of the 63 games played between the two sides since 1912, the Hammers have won 26 of them to Boro's 24.
• West Ham United are waiting on the fitness of James Tomkins and Abdoulaye Faye, who both picked up knocks during the Leeds match. Big Sam is optimistic they may both return but has options in midfield should Tomkins not make it.
• Gary O'Neil, Henri Lansbury and Ravel Morrison - who made his debut at Leeds - are all standing by to step in should they be needed.
• Guy Demel and Papa Bouba Diop are still long-term injured, while Ricardo Vaz Te, Julien Faubert and Winston Reid are all still struggling with hamstring, groin and head injuries respectively.
• Middlesbrough will once again be without key midfielder Barry Robson, who serves the second game of his three-match ban. Rhys Williams will miss the game with an ankle injury, while Faris Haroun's remains a doubt with a hamstring problem.
Last Time Out
Saturday 17 March 2012
Leeds United 1-1 West Ham United
West Ham United: Green, O'Brien, Collins, Faye, McCartney, Noble, Nolan, Collison (Morrison 81), Tomkins (O'Neil 46), Taylor, Maynard (Cole 56)
Subs not used: Henderson, Baldock
Goals: Collins (90)
Saturday 17 March 2012
Birmingham City 3-0 Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough: Steele, McMahon, Bates, Hines, Hoyte (Main 72), Thomson, Bailey, Bennett, Hammill (Martin 72), Jutkiewicz, Arca (Smallwood 72)
Subs not used: Ogbeche, Emnes
Last Six Meetings
(Championship unless stated)
29 November 2011 - Middlesbrough 0-2 West Ham United
24 May 2009 - West Ham United 2-1 Middlesbrough
25 February 2009 - Middlesbrough 2-0 West Ham United (FA Cup)
14 February 2009 - West Ham United 1-1 Middlesbrough (FA Cup)
1 November 2008 - Middlesbrough 1-1 West Ham United
22 December 2007 - Middlesbrough 1-2 West Ham United
Overall record v Middlesbrough (all competitions) W26 D13 L24
Ten Year Records
West Ham United
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Division One 4th
2002/03 Premier League 18th (relegated to Championship)
2001/02 Premier League 7th
2010/11 Championship 11th
2009/10 Premier League 19th (relegated to Championship)
2008/09 Premier League 13th
2007/08 Premier League 12th
2006/07 Premier League 14th
2005/06 Premier League 7th
2004/05 Premier League 11th
2003/04 Premier League 11th
2002/03 Premier League 12th
2001/02 Premier League 9th
• Tuesday evening's referee will be Scott Mathieson.
• Mathieson has taken charge of two West Ham United fixtures this term. Mathieson took charge of West Ham's 1-0 home win against Barnsley in December and their victory at Doncaster Rovers in August by the same score line.
• He had the honour of getting the 2011/12 npower Football League season up and running when he took charge of Blackpool's 1-0 win at Hull City on Friday 5 August.
• Mathieson last took charge of Middlesbrough on the 2nd January 2012 when Boro went down 3-0 away at Blackpool.
• Mathieson will be assisted by assistant referees Stuart Butler and Mark Scholes. The fourth official for Tuesday night's match will be Michael Russell.
• Gary O'Neil played for Middlesbrough between August 2007 and January 2011, when he signed for the Hammers. He scored seven goals in 119 appearances for Boro in all competitions.
• Among the other players who have represented both clubs are Jeremie Aliadiere, Brian Deane, James Dow, Paul Ince, Frank Piercy, Luke 'Lou' Raisbeck, George 'Geordie' Reid, Robbie Stockdale and Robert Young.
• West Ham United will travel to Turf Moor this Saturday 24 March to take on Burnley, ticket information for this game can be found here.
• On the same afternoon, Middlesbrough will play host to Bristol City at The Riverside. Both games will kick off at 3:00pm.
• Tickets for tonight's game will be available on the door. Click here for more details.
• Tuesday's weather forecast is for an overcast day in East London with temperatures expected to be mild at around 14C (57F).