Hammers knocked out

West Ham United's FA Youth Cup challenge came to a halt at the fifth-round stage following a 3-0 home defeat by Newcastle United.

Despite making a bright start at the Boleyn Ground on Wednesday, the Hammers found themselves on the wrong end of goals from Jeffrey Henderson, Philip Airey and Bradden Inman.

The hosts did make a fist of things late on, with George Moncur smashing a free-kick against the crossbar and Eoin Wearen seeing his 85th-minute penalty saved, but it is the Magpies who progress through to the quarter-finals.

Tony Carr's youngsters had dominated possession in the early stages, but were unable to create a clear-cut opening and test Magpies goalkeeper Jak Alnwick - the younger brother of Tottenham Hotspur stopper Ben.

England Under-17 striker Robert Hall came the closest to breaking the deadlock, only to clip his shot wide of the far post following superb build-up play from Jordan Brown and Wearen. Hall and strike partner Cristian Montano then both passed up half-chances before the visitors opened the scoring with virtually their first attack of the tie on 14 minutes.

A left-wing corner was scrambled off the line by Peter Loveday, only for the ball to fall to defender Henderson, who smashed a low shot goalwards. Despite the best efforts of a Hammers defender, the ball had crossed the line before being cleared, a fact confirmed by the assistant referee.

The goal appeared to give Newcastle a confidence boost and, as the half went on, it was the visitors who carried the greater attacking threat in front of a 1,000-plus crowd that included Gianfranco Zola, Steve Clarke, Kevin Keen, James Tomkins and Jack Collison.

In the final moments of the half, midfielder Greg McDermott - the son of former Liverpool player Terry - hit the woodwork with a deflected shot before Inman headed inches wide at the near post.

The Hammers were not so fortunate early in the second period, as Newcastle scored twice in the space of three minutes to put the tie beyond the home side. First, Airey latched on to a through ball before slotting low past Loveday on 49 minutes, then midfielder Inman slammed home a fine first-time shot from 20 yards on 51.

To their credit, West Ham continued to fight and could easily have got a goal back when Moncur's 30-yard special slammed back off the crossbar. The hosts had an even better chance to score a consolation goal late on when Wearen's shot struck an arm, only for the Republic of Ireland U17 midfielder to see his penalty saved by Alnwick's legs.

Carr will be disappointed that his side could not continue their cup run, but pleased with his players' efforts in reaching the last 16.

West Ham will return to FA Premier Academy League action at Norwich City on Saturday morning.

West Ham United: Loveday, Modelski, Sanchez, Craig, Brown, Vose (Turgott 71), Moncur, Abdulla, Wearen, Montano (Purdy 88), Hall
Subs: Cowler, Driver, Lampe, Subuola, Fanimo

Newcastle United: Alnwick, Tavernier, McDermott, J.Henderson, Dummett, Nzuzi, Folan, Inman, McGorrigan (Adjei 63), Airey, Newton
Subs: Robinson, L.Henderson, Page, Spear