Stanislas salvages point

West Ham United 2-2 Fulham

A Junior Stanislas goal two minutes into added- time rescued a Barclays Premier League point for West Ham United in Saturday's London derby with Fulham.

Carlton Cole opened the scoring with a brilliant header on 16 minutes before Fulham were reduced to ten men when Kagisho Dikgacoi sent off before half-time. The visitors came out strongly after the interval though and a penalty from Danny Murphy and a Zoltan Gera strike put them in front.

It looked like Fulham would record their first win at the Boleyn Ground since 2001 before Stanislas' late intervention.

Gianfranco Zola had called for "Thunder" from his players in the build up to the game and the chances of creating such a storm appeared to increase before kick-off with the news that captain Matthew Upson was fit to return from a calf injury. He was joined in the starting XI by Zavon Hines, who replaced muscle-injury victim Radoslav Kovac. Fulham made six changes from the side that beat Basel in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday including a Premier League debut for South African international Dikgacoi.

Just 17 seconds were on the clock when Cole gave a taster of what was to come after collecting an Upson ball forward on his chest and hitting a volley that flew narrowly over.

After a largely scrappy opening quarter-of-an-hour, West Ham slowly found their passing rhythm. One such move pressured Brede Hangeland into clattering Faubert, who was flying forward after a neat one-two with Diamanti. The Fulham No5 was booked and the resulting free-kick bore the game's opening goal as Diamanti's whipped ball was met by a powerful header from Cole.

The goal seemed to breed confidence in the hosts and minutes later Diamanti came close to grabbing his second assist as his corner was headed inches wide by James Tomkins.

Fulham's first real chance of note was passed up when Andy Johnson rolled his shot wide following Danny Murphy's quick free-kick, although the presence of Upson  undoubtedly made the opening harder for the striker.

Parker was next to threaten after connecting with a 25-yard volley, which arrowed down the centre of the goal and safely into Mark Schwarzer's arms.

The home side's quest for a fifth straight win for east London over west looked to have become a tad easer when Dikgacoi was dismissed for clashing with Parker off the ball. The West Ham United midfielder was shown a caution for his part in the fracas.

Hines went close to sending the Hammers into the break two-up in the second minute of added- time when he smashed a shot just wide of the top corner.

Fulham used the break to make a change with Chris Baird coming on for Johnson and the Northern Ireland international had barely been on the pitch for 30 seconds when his side earned a golden chance to draw level.

Upson was adjudged to have fouled Diomansy Kamara in the area and Murphy made no mistake from the resulting spot-kick, sending Green the wrong way from 12 yards.

Fulham continued to exert pressure and Jimenez and Faubert were both carded as frustration grew among the home side. Things were to get worse still though as Green did well to tip a deflected Konchesky free-kick around the post and when the same player floated in the resulting corner, Gera was on hand to steer the ball in at the far post.

The home support among the 32,612 inside the Boleyn Ground were stunned into a temporary silence but were soon roaring their encouragement again as two Diamanti long-rangers whistled just wide.

The introduction of the fit-again Valon Behrami and Stanislas with 19 minutes to go added further attacking impetuous for the home side, while Fulham also made two changes with Eddie Johnson and Bjorn Helge Riise coming on for Kamara and Dempsey.

West Ham threw everything forward and after several long-range shots did not trouble Schwarzer, Stanislas' 20-yard shot deflected off Aaron Hughes and past the helpless Australian.

Johnson had a clear chance to steal victory for the Cottagers after charging down Green's clearance, but the American was unable to find the target with only Upson between him and the unguarded net.

With the international break now upon us, West Ham United have 13 days to prepare for their next league game away at Stoke City on 17 October.