On This Day: 18 February

On This Day: 18 February


Name: Anton Ferdinand
Date of birth: 18 February 1985
Clubs: West Ham United, Sunderland

Born in Peckham on 18 February 1985, Anton Ferdinand graduated from West Ham United's Academy as a trainee in 2002, making his first-team debut in the 2-1 Division One victory at Preston North End on 9 August 2003.

The brother of former Hammers defender Rio and a cousin of ex-West Ham and England striker Les, Ferdinand was comfortable at either right-back or in the centre of defence. The youngster was a key figure during the 2004/05 promotion season, playing in the Championship play-off final win over Preston North End at the Millennium Stadium.

Ferdinand's form was recognised at international level as he became a regular member of the England Under-21 squad, earning his first cap in a 3-1 win over Ukraine at the Riverside Stadium on 17 August 2004.

Back at West Ham, Ferdinand netted a spectacular goal in the 2-1 Premier League victory over Fulham at the Boleyn Ground on 23 January 2006 - a strike that helped him to win the Premier League player of the month award.

Ferdinand also started the 2006 FA Cup final against Liverpool, but unfortunately missed the decisive penalty in the Reds' 3-1 shoot-out victory. He would join Sunderland in August 2008, having made a total of 163 league and cup appearances for the club, scoring five goals.

Classic Match

Swindon Town 2-2 West Ham United
Barclays League Division Two
18 February 1990

While the result may not have gone down in West Ham United folklore, this 2-2 draw at Swindon Town marked the debut of one of the club's finest-ever goalkeepers - Ludek Miklosko.

The giant Czech Republic stopper had arrived from Banik Ostrava in his homeland for a fee of around £300,000. That proved to be money very well spent as Miklosko went on to make a total of 375 appearances in claret and blue.

The first of those appearances came in this otherwise unremarkable fixture at Swindon's County Ground. West Ham - managed by Billy Bonds in the absence of Lou Macari - went into the game sitting 11th in the Division Two table.

Jimmy Quinn put the Hammers ahead on 29 minutes, only for Steve White to level matters three minutes before half-time. Ross MacLaren put the Robins in front midway through the second half with a deflected free-kick, but Quinn - and two saves from Miklosko from Tom Jones shots - ensured West Ham picked up a point.