Hammers reached FA Youth Cup final again, but lost this time 2-1 on aggregate to Blackburn Rovers.

Ted Fenton resigned as manager after 11 years' service and was replaced by Ron Greenwood.

In March, Ron Greenwood bought Johnny Byrne from Crystal Palace for £65,000 - a then record fee between English clubs.

Third time lucky as Hammers reached the FA Youth Cup final and beat Liverpool 6-5 on aggregate.

Hammers lost 6-3 on aggregate to Leicester City in semi-final of the League Cup. May 2 - West Ham United defeated Preston North End 3-2 at Wembley to win the FA Cup for the first time in our history. August 15 - drew 2-2 v Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Charity Shield. September 23 - First European tie v La Gantoise (Belgium) in European Cup Winners' Cup at Ghent. Ronnie Boyce, scorer of the FA Cup final winner, was again on target.

1965 April 16:
Brian Dear scored five goals in a 20-minute spell, either side of half-time, in our 6-1 home win against West Bromwich Albion. May 19 - Hammers returned to Wembley in May to beat West Germans TSV Munich 1860 2-0 to win the European Cup Winners' Cup. Alan Sealey scored both goals.

Our first, and only, League Cup final appearance against West Bromwich Albion ended in a 5-3 aggregate defeat. West Ham United trio Bobby Moore (captain), Geoff Hurst (hat-trick hero) and Martin Peters (scorer of the other goal) starred for England in their 4-2 World Cup final victory against West Germany at Wembley.

West Brom inflicted more League Cup misery on us by winning our semi-final 6-2 on aggregate.

October 19 - Geoff Hurst equalled Vic Watson's record by scorng six goals in our 8-0 home slaughter of Sunderland. November 2 - Newly-built East Terrace opened for home game v QPR.

January 4 - New East Stand fully opened for the FA Cup visit of Bristol City.

March - Martin Peters became first of the World Cup-winning trio to leave the club when he joined Spurs in a £200,000 deal that also included Jimmy Greaves' move to Upton Park in part-exchange.