Boa Morte settles London reserve derby

West Ham United reserves 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur reserves

West Ham United won the battle of a lively London derby as Luis Boa Morte's first-half header was enough to secure victory against Tottenham Hotspur at the Boleyn Ground.

The home side, up against visitors that were unbeaten in four games at this level, controlled the first half after Boa Morte's early goal and battled through after the interval to ensure all three points would remain in east London. The win moves West Ham up to fifth in the ten-team Premier Reserve League table, a point ahead of their opponents on 9 October.

Kevin Keen's men started brightly forcing a corner inside the first two minutes before Jack Collison and Boa Morte combined well for the first real chance on goal, although the visitors were able to clear. The promising start paid off on nine minutes as West Ham took the lead with a well-worked goal.

James Tomkins, playing his first reserve game since suffering a shoulder injury at the end of last season, headed clear to an on-running Junior Stanislas. He in turn fed Kyel Reid who sent a perfect left-wing cross into the path of Boa Morte, and the Portuguese forward - partnering Jack Jeffrey in attack - had the simple task of heading in from close range.

Collison, lively in the centre of midfield despite the presence of Kevin Prince Boateng and Wayne Routledge, continued to combine well with Boa Morte, who went close to getting a second before Tony Stokes tried his luck with a long-range shot. More good play from the Hammers saw Stanislas collect the ball from Jeffrey and then fire an effort just wide of the post.

At the other end, Spurs' defender Cian Hughton gave the first test of the evening to home goalkeeper Richard Wright, who saved comfortably. It was to be a quiet first half for Wright, who was ably assisted by solid defending from Calum Davenport and Tomkins. Just before half-time, Collison again combined with Boa Morte, only for the resulting effort to be cleared by Spurs and it remained 1-0 at the break.

In the second half, West Ham again started brightly, Stokes once again in the thick of action as he got stuck in to stop a Spurs attack just outside the box. Reid got free in the 53rd minute but could only send his fiercely-driven shot over the bar.

Tottenham were more dangerous after the interval and went close when Leigh Mills hit the post and Tomkins then had to make a clearance in a crowded penalty box minutes later. Wright then made a save as Simon Dawkins hit a fierce shot. But the home side still had the upper hand - Reid sending a promising strike whistling over the bar before the solid Jonathan Spector tried his luck from long range after surging forward from left-back.

Keen made his only change of the night on 68 minutes, Zavon Hines replacing Stanislas and the No14 was to be a lively presence. Boa Morte had a great chance to double the home advantage but could only divert his free-kick over the crossbar before Hines went close only to be thwarted by Spurs keeper Tommy Forecast.

The visitors kept pushing and Tomkins was again in good form as he rose high to head clear a particularly dangerous attack before Jeffrey collected the ball from a good cross by John Pantsil, but could only watch as his header went just over the bar. Wright then saved from Boateng before Davenport had to be alert on the line to head clear a Tottenham free-kick.

West Ham though were unlucky not to have grabbed a second goal as Hines found himself in space but his shot shaved the post. Spurs tried one more time to find an equaliser but Pantsil cleared off the line and one goal proved enough for the hosts.

West Ham United: Wright, Pantsil, Tomkins, Davenport, Spector, Stanislas (Hines 67), Stokes, Collison, Reid, Boa Morte, Jeffrey, 
Subs not used: Stech, Hales, Widdowson, Fitzgerald