Tevez double sees off Bolton

West Ham United moved out of the bottom three with a comprehensive 3-1 victory against Sammy Lee's Bolton Wanderers. Carlos Tevez scored twice and Mark Noble fired in a third to put the Hammers 3-0 up inside half an hour.

The Hammers mounted an early attack but Tevez was fouled by Abdoulaye Meite and awarded a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area. In trademark style, Club's Player of the Season produced an un-saveable finish to put the Alan Curbishley's men 1-0 up.

Bolton earned a dangerous free-kick a minute later as Noble up-ended Andranik Teimourian but Nicolas Anelka smacked it straight at the wall and it was cleared up-field.

In the 20th minute Tevez scored his second to put the Hammers 2-0 ahead. A sublime pass from Noble split the defence and gifted Luis Boa Morte possession on the left wing. He darted up the pitch and squared to Tevez, who calmly slotted the ball past Jussi Jaaskelainen.

There was a booking for Thompson four minutes later as he clattered into George McCartney and Tevez took the resulting free-kick from the left. He lifted it towards Zamora but Lubomir Michalik cleared.

Hammers were 3-0 up with just under half-an-hour played. Ivan Campo lost possession to Zamora, who fed Tevez on the left. He played a perfect ball out to Noble on the edge of the box and the 19-year-old fired an outstanding first-time shot into the back of the net.

Moments later there was a chance for Tevez to score his hat-trick as he made space and blasted the ball at Jaaskelainen's goal, deflecting off Campo to force the Bolton keeper into a point-blank save.

With a minute to go before half-time Campo took a long throw for Bolton, which Collins hooked away, but the ball only travelled as far as Teimourian who was poised to shoot until Benayoun dived in to block the shot.

Boa Morte had a chance to make it four just before the break as he ran onto Tevez' pass but he scuffed his shot and the ball travelled wide.

Five minutes after the restart, Bolton were awarded a free-kick 25 yards in front of goal. Gary Speed struck the ball low into the wall and did the same with the follow-up, but it sailed past the post.

In the 54th minute Zamora was booked after clashing with Michalik, who escaped a caution, despite appearing to lash out at the Hammers striker.

Moments later Lucas Neill played an excellent ball through to Boa Morte but as he stretched out his boot to poke into the net, Jaaskelainen came and collected.

James Sinclair came on to replace Thompson in the 57th minute and threatened to score with his first touch of the ball. But his low strike was tipped past the post by Rob Green as he dived to make the save.

Hammers earned a corner in the 63rd minute as Boa Morte held up play and threaded the ball through to McCartney but Meite cleared. The break in play allowed Marlon Harewood on to replace Zamora.

Speed scored for Bolton three minutes later as Noble was caught in possession by Anelka, who played the ball across to the Bolton midfielder to roll it back across goal and into the corner of the net.

In the 71st minute Kevin Davies conceded a free-kick, which Tevez lifted over the wall to Harewood, who attempted an overhead flick with his back to goal but the ball flew just over the target.

Moments later Benayoun chipped the ball up to Tevez, who ran into the box but he struck it wide and it fizzed into the Bobby Moore stand.

Tevez fired another shot on target moments later as he ran on to a pass from Benayoun but Jaaskelianen saved.

In the 83rd minute Harewood had a shot saved by Jaaskelainen and Hammers were awarded a corner. But Bolton quickly regained possession and Anelka fired a dangerous shot on target, only Benayoun was there to block the shot and force the ball wide.

There was some inexplicable officiating in the 88th minute as Tevez and Benayoun combined to set up Harewood and Meite produced a crucial interception to prevent the Hammers substitute from scoring. But the vital touch escaped the officials' attention and Bolton were awarded a goal-kick.

Noble was booked for a foul on Anelka in injury time but Bolton were unable to craft a goal from the resulting free-kick. When the full-time whistle blew the Hammers were applauded off the pitch by the crowds of claret and blue supporters.

They returned for a lap of honour, led by kit-man Eddie Gilham, who enjoyed his last home game for the Club after 27 years at Upton Park.

West Ham United: Green; Neill, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney; Benayoun, Noble, Reo-Coker (c) (Mullins, 85), Boa Morte (Spector, 79); Tevez, Zamora (Harewood, 63).
Subs not used: Cole, Davenport.

Bolton Wanderers: Jaaskelainen; Campo, Meite, Michalik, Gardner (Giannakopoulos, 75) Thompson (Sinclair, 57), Speed, Teimourian (Vaz Te); Nolan (c), Anelka, Davies.
Subs not used: Walker, Tal.