Reserves make it two wins in a row

The reserve team sealed their second win in a row on Monday night with an impressive 1-0 victory over Watford at Boreham Wood.

Having notched their first triumph of the season two weeks ago, against Charlton Athletic, Steve Brown's men continued the good form thanks to a first-half strike from Carlton Cole.

Another positive was the return from injury of midfielder Nigel Quashie, who played the full 90 minutes, while fellow senior players Christian Dailly, Paul Konchesky, John Pantsil and Jimmy Walker all made impressive contributions.

However, it was the hosts who made the brighter start, and Hammers had Walker to thank for keeping the scores level in the opening 20 minutes, as he made four excellent saves, including one amazing acrobatic tip-over the bar to keep out a dipping volley from midfielder Johan Cavalli.

Having survived that early onslaught, the visitors then began to assert themselves on the game and, after Konchesky had gone close with a low 25-yarder, took the lead on 25 minutes with what proved to be the winner.

Cole started and finished the move, dispossessing defender Aaron Beech wide on the left before cutting in and coolly slotting the ball past goalkeeper Scott Loach from 10 yards out.

Watford striker Will Hoskins then missed their clearest chance of the game 10 minutes before the break, heading wide from just six yards out, and Hammers went in at the interval feeling slightly fortunate to be in front.

Whatever Steve Brown said in the dressing-room certainly made the right impact, though, for his team came out in the second half clearly determined to hold on to their lead and take a stranglehold on the game.

Just two minutes after the restart, hard-working young striker Jack Jeffery found himself in the clear but was denied by a fine save from Loach, and then saw the Watford stopper keep out his stinging 20-yard drive two minutes later.

Jeffery then saw a hat-trick of chances go begging when he fired inches wide after cutting in from the right, before Freddie Sears also narrowly missed the target and Junior Stanislas ended a storming run with a goalbound shot that was tipped round for a corner by Loach.

With three minutes remaining, Watford almost snatched an undeserved equaliser when left-back Jordan Parkes latched on to a low cross, but Jimmy Walker again came to the rescue with a superb point-blank save.

In injury-time, Konchesky had an opportunity to grab a killer second goal, but his quickly-taken free-kick from 20 yards out dropped just the wrong side of the post.

Hammers held on, though, to keep their revival going and match the exploits of the first team by claiming their second successive victory in impressive fashion.

Hammers: Walker, Pantsil, Konchesky, Hales (Collison 70), Dailly, Spence (N'Gala 83), Stanislas, Quashie, Cole, Jeffrey, Sears. Subs not used: Blackmore, Widdowson, Hunt.

Watford: Loach, Doyley, Parkes, Avinel, Beech, Bangura, Cavalli (Bennett 84), Williams, Hoskins (Henderson 60), Campana, Williamson (Forbes 78). Subs not used: North, Brown.