Seventh heaven!

Our 2-1 victory over Manchester City on Monday night means that Hammers fans have an FA Cup semi-final to look forward to for only the seventh time in the Club's history.

Our first encounter in the last four came way back in 1923, when a 5-2 victory saw us past Derby County at Stamford Bridge, and secured our place in the first-ever Wembley cup final, when Bolton ran out 2-0 winners in the infamous White Horse final.

We next reached the semi-finals 10 years later, but this time ended up on the losing side, as Vic Watson's goal wasn't enough to prevent Everton from grabbing a 2-1 win at Molineux.

The Club would then have to wait another 31 years for a taste of the semis, for what turned out to be one of the greatest domestic cup victories in our history. On a quagmire of a pitch at Hillsborough, two goals from Ronnie Boyce and one from Geoff Hurst secured a 3-1 win against the great Manchester United - including Law, Best and Charlton - and led to our first-ever triumph in the competition, as Preston North End were beaten in the final at Wembley.

We also went on to win the Cup following our next two semi-final appearances, in 1975 and 1980. After a goalless draw against Ipswich Town at Villa Park in '75, two goals from rookie striker Alan Taylor (who had also hit a brace in the quarter-finals against Arsenal) in the replay at Stamford Bridge saw Hammers through to a final against Bobby Moore's Fulham at Wembley, where 'Sparrow' repeated his double act in a 2-0 victory.

Five years later, our semi-final against Everton again went to a replay, after Stuart Pearson's equaliser earned a 1-1 draw at Villa Park and, in an memorable replay at Elland Road, Alan Devonshire's superb solo effort was followed by Frank Lampard's late winner and his unforgettable celebration round the corner flag.

Our sixth and most recent FA Cup semi-final appearance came in 1991 against Nottingham Forest at Villa Park, and is remembered most for the scandalous decision of referee Keith Hackett to send off defender Tony Gale in the 27th minute for what he deemed to be a professional foul.

Forest went on to take full advantage of the extra man and fired four second half goals without reply to set up a Wembley final against Tottenham Hotspur, yet were still overshadowed by the travelling Hammers fans, who created an amazing atmosphere with a rendition of 'Billy Bonds's claret and blue army' that lasted for virtually the entire second half.

Alan Pardew's team can be guaranteed similar support on what is sure to be a memorable day out in this year's semi-final, and here's hoping that the Hammers can make it seventh heaven to reach the Millennium Stadium for the third year running…