May 18, 2004
Division 1 Playoff Semi-Final Second Leg
Upton Park
West Ham Utd 2 (2) Ipswich Town 0 (1)

Alan Pardew had the unenviable task of guiding West Ham back to the Premiership at the first time of asking, and had done well to secure a
Playoff spot with a fourth place finish. Ipswich were to be the Semi-Final opponents. The first leg at Portman Road was a tight affair, but the home
side came away with the slight advantage. Darren Bent headed in them into a second half lead but West Ham managed to keep the deficit to just one.
Joe Royal's side were welcomed to the Boleyn Ground under the floodlights by one of the most electrifying atmosphere's the ground has ever witnessed. The
night was a throw back to the glory days of the 60's and everyone was anticipating a very special performance.
Bobby Zamora forced a wonder save from Kelvin Davis and Bent wasted a good chance to increase Ipswich's aggregate lead, but the sides went in at the
break goalless. Time was ticking away and West Ham needed something exceptional. Then, Michael Carrick took a short corner quickly to Matty
Etherington and the left winger hit the sweetest strike straight into the top corner. West Ham now had their tails up and it wasn't long before skipper Christian Dailly put them within touching distance of the Millennium Stadium, stabbing the ball in from inside the box, before collapsing winded.
The Hammers survived an Ipswich onslaught, with the visitors hitting the post in the final minute and were on their way to Cardiff.

WHU: Bywater, Repka, Dailly, Melville, Mullins, Etherington, Carrick, Lomas, Harewood, Connolly (Reo-Coker 82), Zamora (Deane 57).

May 29, 2004
Division 1 Playoff Final
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 1

Heartbreak for the second year running as Alan Pardew's Hammers fell at the final hurdle in their bid to regain topflight status. West Ham had given
everything in the Semi-Final against Ipswich and travelled to Cardiff with confidence, but just couldn't produce on the day.
Neil Shipperley put the south Londoners ahead in the second half and it proved to be decisive. David Connolly and Bobby Zamora both had the ball in
the back of the net but were denied by the linesman's flag.
The Hammers were destined to spend another year in Division 1.

WHU: Bywater, Repka, Dailly, Melville, Mullins, Etherington, Carrick, Lomas, Harewood (Reo-Coker 69), Connolly (Hutchinson 74), Zamora (Deane 70).