Hammers Held By 1860 On A Great Night In Munich

MARLON Harewood´s strike helped West Ham United keep up their unbeaten record in this season´s pre-season campaign as they drew 1-1 against TSV 1860 Munich in front of a fantastic 18,791 crowd at the Allianz Arena.
Alan Pardew brought a full squad of players to Munich in a match to commemorate the 40th anniversary of West Ham United´s 2-0 victory over the German side in the European Cup Winners Cup.

The brand new 66,000 capacity Allianz Arena was a venue well-suited to this landmark occasion.
Situated on the outskirts of Munich this magnificent stadium is simply breathtaking and well deserves to be hosting the opening game of the 2006 World Cup Finals.

On a sultry evening it played host to the first clash between Hammers and 1860 Munich for ten years and just the second game between the sides since that memorable day back in 1965 when Bobby Moore lifted West Ham United´s only major European trophy to date.Unlike the Hammers, 1860 Munich narrowly missed out on promotion last season, having been relegated from Bundesliga One two years ago.

The kick-off was put back some 20 minutes after the Hammers coach was delayed getting to the ground, but there was nothing sluggish about the West Ham start, Harewood firing wide from Anton Ferdinand´s pass after only five minutes before Nigel Reo-Coker tested the home goalkeeper Timo Ochs for the first time with a shot that was comfortably saved down low.

With 15 minutes gone Hammers began to come under some pressure of their own and home skipper Matthias Lehmann stung the hands of Roy Carroll with a blistering 25-yard free-kick.

On 20 minutes Shaun Newton surged into the box only to see Ochs smother well at his feet, while at the other end Tomas Repka had to be alert to lever Daniel Baier off the ball as the midfielder broke into the Hammers box.
With 33 minutes on the clock Alan Pardews men made the decisive breakthrough. It was the simplest of moves, Matty Etherington swinging over a deep cross from the right and Marlon Harewood guiding his header home off the post to make it 1-0.

Harewood might have had a second just moments later had he not shot straight at Ochs from the edge of the area, and then narrowly failed to latch onto another Etherington centre.
But Hammers were well worth their advantge leading 1-0 at the break.

HT: 1-0

Pards kept with the same team for the start of the second-half, and almost immediately his Hammers were threatening, Reo-Coker and Teddy Sheringham both seeing efforts blocked by substitute goalkeeper Míchael Hoffmann.
On 51 minutes Tomas Repka was booked for a lunge on Patrick Milchraum, but worse was to follow for the Czech defender moments later when the ball broke loose across the edge of the area and his touch presented a shooting chance for Emmanuel Krontiris, who made no mistake beating Carroll with a low drive to make it 1-1.

Michal Kolomaznik then tested Carroll with a wicked volley that the Northern Ireland international did well to flick onto the crossbar, before the goalkeeper recovered to catch Marcel Schafer´s drive.

Teddy Sheringham left the pitch to a thunderous reception from both sets of supporters on 69 minutes to be replaced by Bobby Zamora, just before Shaun Newton almost found Marlon Harewood with his cut-back having nicked the ball out of Hofmann´s hands.

With 12 minutes to go Israeli international Yossi Benayoun was introduced for his West Ham United debut in place of Harewood, the new signing showing some excellent touches in a congested midfield.
The home side had the better of the chances in the closing stages as Marco Gebhardt shot wide at the near post and Kolomaznik´s volley was headed off the line by Anton Ferdinand.

But 1-1 was a fair result in stifling heat that made the pace of the game difficult to maintain.
As the final whistle blew both clubs could be rightly proud of an excellent night at the Allianz Arena that celebrated a wonderful part of West Ham United history 40 years on.

WHU: Carroll; Repka (Chadwick 74), Konchesky (Ward 60), Gabbidon, Ferdinand, Mullins (Licka 74), Newton, Sheringham (Benayoun 78), Reo-Coker (Dailly 60), Harewood, Etherington (Williams 74). Subs unused: Bywater (GK),