Hammers Held At Yeovil

GOALS from Petr Mikolanda and Bobby Zamora gave West Ham United a 2-2 draw against Yeovil Town in this pre-season friendly clash at Huish Park.

Former Yeovil Town star Gavin Williams was included in the Hammers line-up despite having a very busy tour of Sweden, while trialist Mikolanda was given another chance to impress in attack alongside Zamora.

In midfield, Christian Dailly was paired with Carl Fletcher, while Shaun Newton was again fielded as a left-back, alongside Malky Mackay, James Collins and Australian youth international Trent McClenahan.

In-front of a capacity crowd, Yeovil began the game strongly and took the lead with just three minutes played. Having already threatened with two corners that had been cleared by James Collins, a third found Pablo Bastiani in the area, and he made no mistake from close range, sliding the ball past Stephen Bywater to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Yeovil could have doubled their advantage minutes later, only the quick thinking of Shaun Newton, who made a desperate last-ditch tackle on the Hammers goal-line, prevented the home side making it two.

With 15 minutes gone it was Bywater doing his best to keep the positive Yeovil attack at bay, saving well from Darren Way. As the ball broke loose Way pounced on the rebound but James Collins, who was excellent all afternoon, did well to clear the ball to safety.

Having weathered the early Yeovil onslaught, Hammers finally began to find their range. With 23 minutes on the clock Bobby Zamora forced a fine save out of goalkeeper Chris Weale, while moments later Czech trialist Mikolanda also saw his effort saved by the highly-rated Yeovil Town stopper.

On the half hour mark, Carl Fletcher fed Zamora with a fine pass, but the Hammer striker shot wide.

West Ham were threatening an equaliser with almost every attack, and it was no surprise when the visitors levelled the scores on 38 minutes. Zamora and Mikolanda played a lovely one-two, sending the Czech through on goal, and he made no mistake firing past Weale to make it 1-1.

That scoreline lasted all of five minutes though, as fired up Yeovil hit-back with two minutes to go until half-time. Kevin Gall sprung the Hammers defence and took the ball around Bywater before rolling it home to leave West Ham United trailing 2-1 at the break.

HT: 1-2

French forward Youssef Sofiane was introduced in place of Luke Chadwick after the interval, as Hammers came out firing. Mikolanda tested the Yeovil goalkeeper's reflexes almost immediately, before he pulled off a fine double save to deny the combined efforts of Zamora and Christian Dailly.

On the hour, Shaun Newton fed Zamora only for the 'keeper to save well at the forward's feet.

Then, on 66 minutes, Hammers were presented with a magnificent chance to restore parity when Zamora was brought down in the box by a clumsy challenge and the referee pointed to the spot.

Zamora stepped up to take the spot-kick but unfortunately for the Hammers it was the Yeovil goalkeeper who came out on top making a good save to beat away the penalty.

But Zamora would have his revenge. With five minutes of the game remaining a fine cross from substitute Kyel Reid was met by Bobby in full-flight. The goalkeeper did well to parry the effort, but Zamora would not be denied again and followed up to slam the ball home and earn a 2-2 draw for the Hammers in a hard-fought contest at Huish Park.

WHU: Bywater; McClenahan, Newton, Collins, Mackay, Fletcher, Dailly (Ward 80), Williams, Zamora, Mikolanda (Reid 68), Chadwick (Sofiane 45). Subs unused: Reed (GK), Blewitt.