Reserves Win

West Ham reserves secured a 2-1 win over Arsenal on Tuesday night in the first of two games in consecutive nights.

The Gunners, whose first team done West Ham no favours by losing to Leeds on Sunday after throwing away a two goal lead at Bolton the week before, can't now win the title, while Wednesday night's opponents, Watford, are still in contention in the final game of the season.

"It is always good to beat an Arsenal side; they had a young team out but they can play and they have a lot of good young players in their side," says Roger Cross.

"If they had won they would have gone top of their league with a chance of winning it, but now they can't."

To play two games in two days, is, of course, a ludicrous situation, and Roger adds:

"We play Watford tomorrow night and they have to beat us to win the league - if they don't they won't.

"We will have the basis of the side that played tonight; it is a bit unfortunate because we don't really want to play two games in two nights - but Watford insisted that we did.

"They couldn't play another day so that is the situation; they couldn't leave it to Thursday even, for some reason - perhaps because they want to win the league!

"It is going to be tough playing two games in two days but I am certain that we will go out and do well again.

"I am very confident with this bunch of players; they have done well this season."

As for the goals, Roger adds: Greg Pearson scored the first after a Daryl McMahon cross, and the second was a free-kick that Richard Garcia went up for in front of the goalkeeper.

"It fell in front of Shaun Byrne's feet and he thumped it home.

"But they got an equaliser with a soft penalty; the centre forward ran across Clive Delaney and while it was still out wide he fell over Clive's leg and the ref gave a penalty."

Team: Van der Gouw, A Ferdinand, Tattum, Byrne, Delaney, Ward, McClenahan, D Noble (M Cole 85), Garcia, Pearson (Akinsete 70), McMahon. Subs unused: Jackson, Lumsden, Blewitt.