Trevor Takes Over

Due to the illness suffered by Glenn Roeder following our game against Middlesbrough on Monday, Trevor Brooking CBE has agreed to act as caretaker-manager for the remainder of the season.

All of the existing coaching staff will remain in their current positions, and are fully supportive of both this temporary appointment and the club's determination to finish the season above the relegation zone.

Trevor, a current board member, says upon confirming his acceptance of the position: "This seems to be the most sensible solution to preserve the continuity that Glenn and his back-room team have put into place.

"We aim to keep the momentum going that everyone has achieved over the last eight matches when 15 points have been gained."

Trevor, the board and everyone at West Ham United continue to send their best wishes of support to Glenn and his family, and look forward to welcoming him back as soon as he is fit and well again.

The press call scheduled for tomorrow, Friday 25th April, at Chadwell Heath will take still take place at 9.00am for TV, radio and written press, and 10.30am for photographers.

Trevor Brooking CBE Fact File:

Born: Barking, Essex, October 2, 1948.

Trevor is one of the all-time West Ham United legends. He joined the Club as an apprentice in July 1965 after leaving Ilford County High School and signed professional in May 1966.

He made his League debut at Burnley on August 29, 1967 when Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters were Hammers scorers in a 3-3 draw.

Trevor went on to make 528 league appearances, scoring 88 goals and 108 Cup appearances, scoring 14 goals.

First voted Hammer of the Year in 1971-72, Trevor is the only player to have won the award in three consecutive seasons.

He won the FA Cup with the Hammers when they beat Fulham in 1975, collected a European Cup-Winners' Cup Final runners-up medal in 1976 and then scored the match-winner, with his head, in the 1980 FA Cup Final against Arsenal.

He was back at Wembley a year later when the Hammers faced Liverpool in the League Cup final, a game which ended in a 1-1 draw before the Reds won the replay 2-1 at Villa Park.

He was then a member of West Ham United's record-breaking second division promotion season of 1980-81 when he was awarded the MBE.

Although he was capped only once at England Under-23 level, Trevor went to make 47 appearances for the full international side before finally retiring after playing his last game for the Hammers against Everton on May 14, 1984.

He maintained his strong involvement with the game as a highly-respected soccer pundit for the BBC and became chairman of the Sports Council before being awarded the CBE for his services to football.

He was appointed a Member of the West Ham United board of directors a year ago.