Kids Win Their Spurs

West Ham United's under-17 youth academy side enjoyed a 2-0 win against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday morning, but it wasn't such a good trip across the capital for the under-19s, who lost 1-0 at Crystal Palace.

A freak own goal from striker Freddy Eastwood condemned Tony Carr's team to only their second defeat of the season. With just 15 minutes remaining, a low free-kick from the right appeared to be causing no danger as Eastwood attempted to clear it left-footed. However, the ball hit a divot and the youngster sliced his clearance before seeing it loop up and cruelly drop into the net past a stunned Glenn Jackson.

It was hard luck on the Hammers, who had matched their opponents for the majority of the game and enjoyed several chances to open the scoring, as Greg Pearson, Elliott Ward and Phil Lumsden all went close.

Pearson also had a chance to equalise late on, but was denied by a fine save from the Palace keeper.

Said Tony Carr afterwards: "We probably didn't do enough to deserve a win, but we didn't play badly enough to deserve to lose either. A draw would have been a fair result.

"It was a very close game and both sides had some good opportunities in front of goal, but it just turned out to be one of the those days for us.

"You can't expect to win every game, though, and it is now about how the boys react to this defeat. We have a tough game against Fulham next week and it is important to bounce back with a good result."

Team: Jackson, Khan, Tattam (Akinsete 85), Ferdinand, Ward, Lumsden, Allen, McMahon, Pearson (Mehmet 80), Eastwood, Cole. Subs unused: Fletcher, McClenahan, Morris.

Meanwhile, goals from Darren Blewitt and Chris Cohen secured victory for Kevin Keen's side at Tottenham's Chigwell-based training ground.

After enjoying the majority of possession without causing their opponents too many problems in the final third of the field, Hammers took the lead midway through the second half when Tony Stokes was tripped in the penalty area and Blewitt confidently tucked home the spot-kick.

The lead was doubled and victory secured with 10 minutes remaining when Collington released Cohen and the schoolboy finished well with a left-foot shot.

Said Kevin Keen: "It was a very steady performance from the lads and we pretty much dominated the game.

"We were very strong defensively, as we have been for a number of weeks, and after struggling to find a breakthrough in the first half, the players showed tremendous character to pick the fight up again in the second half.

"It was a fully deserved three points and I hope we can keep this good little run going now."

Team: Behcet, Wright, Blewitt, Laws, Parrington, Tucker (Yao 46), Noble, Bunce (Ketchell 55), Cohen, Collington, Stokes (Singh 70). Subs unused: Reed, Welsh.