Tony On Win

West Ham beat Oadby 4-1 in the FA Youth Cup third round on Tuesday night to claim a place in the fourth round against Fulham at home in round four - but Tony Carr says he wished the victory had made it two wins in two nights for the Hammers at Upton Park.

Hopefully, however, after a first home win this season by a West Ham side, the omens look good for the first team when they next play at home over the Christmas period.

Ironically, those games either side of Christmas day are against Bolton, the last team to succumb to West Ham, on the last day of last season, and then Fulham themselves on Boxing Day.

"I wish the win had come last night; I would have settled for that, but it wasn't to be, it was the youth team that had to get that first win," says Tony.

"We are grateful to get that and, like with all cup ties, we are glad to be in the next round."

At half time, the score was 0-0, but Tony says:

"I wasn't concerned that we would lose it at that point, I was just concerned that we had so many chances and were dominating the game without scoring.

"I said at the break that with every department doing their bit it was up to the front men to score because we were creating the chances and putting the crosses in, but we weren't getting forwards on the end of them.

"The gee-up at half time was basically to get the forwards on the end of the balls that we were delivering into the penalty area."

A quartet of goals came just after that half time team talk, and Tony says:

"We scored four goals in about 10 or 12 minutes - a bit of a blitz - and once we got the first there was never any question we would go on and win it.

"Overall, I would have liked to have seen us be a bit ruthless, with respect to Oadby; if you are 4-0 up with 30 minutes to go or so, then I think you have to rub their noses in it and get as many goals as you can.

"You have to keep putting them away, and although we created the chances we were a bit wasteful when, and I don't want to be disrespectful to the opposition at all - we could have had 10.

"That is something we need to work on; we are loose in those positions and a bit wasteful so if we want to make an impact on the Youth Cup it is something we need to improve on.

"You obviously have to create chances but when they do come we have got to take them - because in other games we won't create as many chances.

"Mitchell Cole's goal was a flick and a volley across the keeper after Greg Pearson's ball, and that set us on our way.

"Then there were two excellent goals from Danny Morris and a good one from Greg Pearson which were textbook finishes, and really pleasing.

"From that point you would have liked to have felt we would really have nailed them and scored lots of goals but we then conceded a sloppy goal in the last minute when George Sealey had his only action of the night, fumbled a cross, and presented them with a gift.

"But we won't deny them one goal."

Whether Danny Morris, who took the match ball at the end, thought two goals was a hat trick or simply thought in the excitement he had actually scored three, remains to be seen, but Tony says:

"He grabbed it and all he did was bring it in the dressing room."

The Hammers had few chances in the first half, although Oadby's goalkeeper Andrew Neilson made a good close range double save from Danny Morris, while Tommy Laws had a header cleared off the line in the second half.

Oadby had two bookings, while Phil Lumsden was yellow carded in the first half.

TEAM: Sealey G, McClenehan, Tattum, Laws, ferdinand, Lumsden, Akinsete [Collington], Carrick [Noble], Morris, Pearson, Cole.

Subs unused: Blewitt, Marrable, Wright.