Everton V West Ham

Post Match Comments
Audio Match ReportSaturday 16th December 2000
Goodison Park
Referee: C Wilkes

Frederic Kanoute struck seven minutes from time to salvage a draw for West Ham against Everton in a game that only burst into life in the closing stages.

Danny Cadamarteri had put Everton ahead in the 75th minute when he flicked in Steve Watson's powerful header from a Stephen Hughes corner. But Kanoute capatalised on some slack defending from the home side to fire into the bottom corner to extend West Ham's unbeaten run to nine games.

The game ended with an amazing piece of sportsmanship by Paolo Di Canio for which he received applause from all quarters of Goodison Park.

Paul Gerrard came rushing out of his goal and as he attempted to stand up fell awarkadly on his ankle. The ball was crossed into the area with the goal at the Italian's mercy.

But instead of controlling the ball on his chest and rolling the ball into the net for the winning goal, he caught the ball in order for the Everton keeper to receive treatment.

Said Harry afterwards:

"I've never seen anything like it; I just thought he'd catch it on his chest, take it on a few yards and roll it in.

"It was very unusual and what we will never know is if they'd have done the same thing or if anyone else would have.

"He would have got treatment just as quickly if he'd scored.

"I've not had a go at him about it; it was difficult.

"All I want is a win but if the lad had broken his leg I would have wanted him to get treatment.

"But how badly injured was the goalkeeper?"

Everton's Steve Watson was equally bemused and said:

"It is not something I could say I would or wouldn't have done - but we are delighted that he did!"

Toffees Manager Walter Smith added:

"He deserves a great deal of credit."

Di Canio's striking partner, Freddie Kanoute, said:

"I can't say what I would have done."

Much of the talk pre-match was about the presence of Liverpool striker Titi Camara but, despite reports, no deal has been done.

However, MD Paul Aldridge says:

"Nothing has been finalised but we are hoping to agree a fee next week."

He also said that reports suggesting Belgian Club Mechelen had signed Australian centre half Haydn Foxe on loan until he played one more game for Australia, thus gaining permission to play in this country, were premature and inaccurate.

He says:

"I have not spoken to the Belgian club yet although it is a possibility that he will go there.

"However, we are still hopeful that the Department of Employment and Education will take a different view of his work permit application.

"He's a player we very much value and we wish that that opinion would be respected by others."

Meanwhile, of the game itself, Harry said:

"Goodison Park is never an easy place for us to come. I thought we might have picked up 3 points but when we were behind it looked like we might get none."

And Harry's final thoughts?

"I'm lost for words - I don't know what to talk about."

The match in general was a rather mediocre affair with both defences holding firm and chances were few and far between.

Everton came out all guns blazing and after just 23 seconds Hughes fired a 20-yard shot that was well saved by Hammers keeper Shaka Hislop.

The ex-Arsenal youngster went close again in the fifth minute but Hislop was once again equal to the task.

West Ham struggled to get their passing game going and did not threaten until the 10th minute when Kanoute skipped past two Everton defenders but dragged his shot well wide of Gerrard's goal.

After 20 minutes Thomas Gravesen fired in a well struck shot but Hislop saved with relative ease.

In the 33rd minute Mark Pembridge was presented with the best chance of the first half after good work by Kevin Campbell but the Welsh international fired the ball into the side netting, much to the annoyance of the home fans.

After the re-start West Ham re-emerged the stronger and looked most likely to break the deadlock. Kanoute, who was a constant menace to the Everton defence all afternoon, went on a mazy run but failed to hit the target as he screwed his effort harmlessly across the face of goal.

Frank Lampard struck a fierce 70th-minute shot that skidded across the surface and was pushed away by Gerrard.

However five minutes later, the deadlock was broken when Cadamarteri was on hand to nod Everton ahead after Hughes' corner was met powerfully by Watson. His header was goal bound but was helped on its way by the diminutive striker.

Everton looked like they were destined for all three points but West Ham fought back and deservedly drew level with seven minutes remaining.

Watson lost the ball just outside the area and the ball fell for Kanoute who turned on a sixpence and dispatched a fiercely struck shot into the bottom corner of the net to send West Ham back to London with a point.