West Ham Women v Tottenham

Hammers draw in final day thriller

West Ham United Women played their part in an exciting 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur at the Chigwell Construction Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Bethany England put the visitors in front against the run of play in the opening 20 minutes, but Emma Snerle’s curling effort and a Kit Graham own goal saw the Hammers take the lead before half-time.

England secured her brace after the interval with another header into the bottom corner. The hosts pushed for a third but the Tottenham backline stood strong and the spoils were shared in the final match of the season.

The Irons were unchanged after victory against Leicester last time out and were full of confidence right from the start as Paul Konchesky’s side looked to land the first blow in the opening stages.

Viviane Asseyi’s long range effort flew wide of the post before Anouk Denton immediately drove her side forwards again. The No18’s dangerous cross looked destined for Dagny Brynjarsdottir at the back post, but Rebecca Spencer was on hand to make a vital intervention to deny the West Ham captain.

The hosts continued to threaten in the early stages and Honoka Hayashi and Asseyi forced Spencer into comfortable saves before England gave Spurs the lead with their first opportunity of the match.

Emma Snerle v Tottenham

The Tottenham striker smartly nodded the ball into the bottom left corner, and beyond the reach of Mackenzie Arnold, after an impressive cross by Rosella Ayane.

Konchesky’s side were not deterred though after an impressive start and the Hammers immediately pushed for an equaliser. Snerle came close to producing a stunning response, but her powerful effort flew just over the crossbar.

After an impressive first half performance, the Irons equalised after 38 minutes. Snerle picked up possession in the penalty area and curled the ball into the bottom right corner to the delight of the West Ham fans.

And Konchesky’s side took the lead before the interval. Snerle’s dangerous free kick caused chaos in the Tottenham backline and Kit Graham was only able to head the ball past Spencer and into the back of her own net.

The visitors quickly responded at the start of the second half and it was the same combination again. Ayane’s wicked delivery found England at the front post and the Tottenham striker powerfully headed the ball into the bottom left corner.

Kate Longhurst was introduced with just over half-an-hour remaining and the midfielder was determined to make an impact in her final appearance for the Club.

Kate Longhurst in action v Tottenham

The Hammers came close to retaking the lead when Grace Fisk’s deflected header flew just wide of the post, and Brynjarsdottir fired marginally over the crossbar from close range minutes later.

Longhurst tried her luck from distance with ten minutes remaining, striking a half volley towards the top left corner from 30 yards, but the effort was too high and Spencer was unworked in the Tottenham goal.

The Tottenham shot stopper was on hand to provide a stunning late save to deny Lisa Evans’ powerful effort and the points were shared in east London after a thrilling encounter.

West Ham United: Arnold, Shimizu, Fisk, Parker, Tysiak, Denton (Smith 59), Hayashi (Longhurst 59), Brynjarsdottir ©, Snerle, Thestrup (Evans 70), Asseyi
Subs not used: Hillyerd (GK), Atkinson, Cooke, Cissoko, Houssein, Flannery

Goals: Snerle 38, Graham og 44


Tottenham Hotspur: Spencer, Turner, Bartrip, Ale (Harrop 45), Bizet (Naz 57), James (Summanen 45), Graham (Percival 87), England, Ayane (Iwabuchi 70), Spence, Neville ©
Subs not used: Korpela, Cho, Karczewska, Petzelberger

Goals: England 20, 48

Booked: Spence, Harrop, Summanen

Referee: Stacey Pearson