Adriana Leon

Hammers bested by Manchester United in WSL

West Ham United Women were on the end of a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Manchester United at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday afternoon. 

Martha Thomas bagged the opener against her former club, before Grace Fisk inadvertently put the ball into the back of her own net. 

There was no let-up from the home side, as Leah Galton added a third just after the break to condemn the Hammers to defeat. 

Olli Harder was forced into one change from the side that beat Reading last weekend. Emma Snerle was unavailable for selection for the clash, and Tameka Yallop came into the starting XI in her place. 

Ona Battle forced Mackenzie Arnold into a save low-down to her right in the opening moments, as the home side looked to make a fast start. From the resulting corner, former Hammer, Thomas almost scored from close range, but her shot took a deflection wide of the mark. 

It was a frantic start at Leigh Sports Village – Adriana Leon skipped away from two challenges in the middle of the park before playing Lisa Evans in behind. The Scotland international cut inside before laying the ball off to Yui Hasegawa, but her shot was well blocked by the Red Devils back line. 

The home side opened the scoring after only 12 minutes – Thomas was on hand to head home past her former teammate, Arnold after good work on the left from Galton. 

It was a tough start for the Irons, as United made home authority count. Zaneta Wyne had to be on hand to deny Galton from adding in a second after another good ball was delivered into a dangerous area.

Marc Skinner’s team were looking dangerous, and they found their second of the afternoon in quite fortuitous fashion. A driving run forward from Thomas resulted in a cross that hit the foot of Fisk and trickled into the net. 

After a period of little action, the Hammers created their first real opportunity of the game with 30 minutes gone. Good play on the right from Adriana Leon and Evans resulted with the ball falling at the feet of Tameka Yallop, but the Australian midfielder couldn’t find the target. 

Alessia Russo had the crowd up on their feet just before the half-time whistle, but the ball had deceived those in the stands, as it hit the side netting and the subsequent advertising boards behind the goal. 

Manchester United began the second half like they’d ended the first – this time Galton was the recipient of a delightful cross on the right, leaving her with a simple tap-in at the back post to add more disappointment for Harder and his team. 

The home side continued to look to add to their tally, but Toone couldn’t convert after good skill on the edge of the area. 

More chances presented themselves late on for Marc Skinner’s team, but they couldn’t add to their tally as the Irons slipped to a disappointing defeat on the road. 

Manchester United: Earps, Thorisdottir, Blundell, Toone (Staniforth 71), Thomas (Hanson 64), Zelem ©, Galton (Bøe Risa 71), Ladd, Groenen (Ferreira Fuso 83), Batlle, Russo (Bruun 71). 
Substitutes not used: Baggaley, Harris, Caldwell, Smith. 

Goals: Thomas 12, Fisk OG 20, Galton 48

West Ham United: Arnold, Longhurst, Cissoko, Fisk ©, Wyne (Joel 83) , Svitková (Stringer 72), Yallop, Hasegawa (Houssein 83), Brynjarsdóttir (Filis 83), Evans (Walker 72), Leon. 
Substitutes not used: Moore, Garrad. 

Referee: Lucy May 

Attendance: 2546