WEST HAM UNITED v SOUTHAMPTON
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2014
REFEREE: MARK CLATTENBURG
FULL AUDIO COMMENTARY - WEST HAM TV
TWITTER I FACEBOOK I iPHONE APP I YOUTUBE I PROGRAMME I BIG SAM
• West Ham United take to the Boleyn Ground pitch on Saturday afternoon looking to record their fourth consecutive win in the Barclays Premier League.
• An unbeaten run spanning the last four matches has included a draw at Chelsea, home wins against Norwich City and Swansea City and a success on the road against Aston Villa.
• The three wins have all come courtesy of a 2-0 scoreline and have taken the Hammers up to eleventh place in the league with 28 points from their 26 games.
• If West Ham keep Southampton out on Saturday it will be their fifth clean sheet in a row, equalling a club record which has stood since 1985.
• A home win would take Sam Allardyce's side to just eight points behind the Saints, who could open up 14-point gap between the sides with three points in east London.
• The visitors currently occupy eighth place in the Premier League and can move level on points with Manchester United if they win on Saturday, if only for a few hours with the Red Devils playing in the late kick-off.
• Mauricio Pochettino's side are currently on a run of six games without defeat in the league, although they exited the FA Cup with Budweiser last time out, losing 1-0 away to Sunderland in the fifth round.
• The Saints are three games unbeaten away from home in the league, with a draw against Sunderland and wins against Fulham and Hull City contributing to the run.
• Last time out in the league the south coast outfit earned a 1-0 win over the Tigers at the KC Stadium.
• A period of applause will be held prior to the match to honour the memory of England legend Sir Tom Finney, who died last Friday at the age of 91.
West Ham United
• Andy Carroll completes the final game of his three-match suspension against the Saints following his red card against Swansea City.
• Joey O'Brien also misses out as he continues his recovery from a dislocated shoulder sustained against Chelsea.
• Saints defender Jos Hooiveld misses the match at the Boleyn Ground with an eye injury.
• Dejan Lovren and Gaston Ramirez may return to the squad after they both suffered injuries in their league fixture with Sunderland.
Last time out
West Ham United 2-0 Norwich City
Barclays Premier League
Tuesday 11 February 2014
West Ham United: Adrian, Demel, McCartney, Collins, Tomkins, Taylor (Nocerino 77), Noble, Nolan, Jarvis (Diame 61), Downing, C.Cole (Boriello 45)
Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Armero, Reid, Collison
Goals: Collins 84, Diame 90
Sunderland 1-0 Southampton
FA Cup with Budweiser fifth round
Saturday 15 February 2014
Southampton: Davis, Clyne, Shaw, Hooiveld, Yoshida, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse (Schneiderlin 62), Davis, Lambert, Lallana (McQueen 82), Do Prado (Rodriguez 62)
Subs not used: Gazzaniga, Chambers, Cork, Fonte
Jussi Jaaskelainen was the hero as the West Ham 'keeper made a string of fine saves to deny Southampton at St Mary's. The flying Finn kept out efforts from Dani Osvaldo, Morgan Schneiderlin and Rickie Lambert before James Collins ballooned the Hammers' best chance of the game over the bar in the closing minutes as the game ended in a stalemate.
Southampton 0-0 West Ham United
Barclays Premier League
15 September 2013
Southampton: Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw (Chambers 77), Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Lallana (Ward-Prowse 72), Rodriguez, Osvaldo, Lambert
Subs not used: K.Davis, S.Davis, Ramírez, Guly, Hooiveld
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Demel (Rat 61), O'Brien, Collins, Reid, Noble, Nolan, Diame, Morrison (Taylor 77), Jarvis, Maiga (Vaz Te 68)
Subs not used: Adrian, Tomkins, Collison, Lee
Last six meetings
(Barclays Premier League unless stated)
15 September 2013 - Southampton 0-0 West Ham United
13 April 2013 - Southampton 1-1 West Ham United
20 October 2012 - West Ham United 4-1 Southampton
14 February 2012 - West Ham United 1-1 Southampton (Championship)
18 October 2011 - Southampton 1-0 West Ham United (Championship)
5 April 2003 - Southampton 1-1 West Ham United
Overall record v Southampton (all competitions) W 37 D 29 L 30
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th
2011/12 Championship 3rd (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Championship 4th
2012/13 Premier League 14th
2011/12 Championship 2nd (promoted to Premier League)
2010/11 League One 2nd (promoted to Championship)
2009/10 League One 7th
2008/09 Championship 23rd (relegated to League One)
2007/08 Championship 20th
2006/07 Championship 6th
2005/06 Championship 12th
2004/05 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2003/04 Premier League 12th
• Former Scotland international Christian Dailly spent two months on loan at Southampton from West Ham United during the 2007/08 season, making eleven appearances for the Saints.
• One-time Israel midfielder Eyal Berkovic spent two seasons with West Ham United between 1997 and 1999. Prior to that, Berkovic spent the 1996/97 season on loan at Southampton from Israeli side Maccabi Haifa, scoring twice in a famous 6-3 Premier League victory over Manchester United at The Dell.
• Forward David Connolly joined West Ham United from Wimbledon for £285,000 in August 2003. The Republic of Ireland striker scored 14 goals in 48 games for the club, making his final Hammers appearance in the 2004 Championship Play-Off final defeat by Crystal Palace. Connolly left St Mary's in summer 2012 after three seasons with Southampton, during which time he won two promotions.
• West Ham United's all-time leading goalscorer Vic Watson moved to Southampton after 15 seasons as a Hammer in 1935. Watson would spend the 1935/36 season at The Dell, scoring 14 goals in 36 appearances to finish as the Saints' leading goalscorer in Division Two before retiring in the summer of 1936 at the age of 38.
• The following players also wore the colours of both West Ham United and Southampton: William Adams, Wayne Bridge, Alistair Campbell, Frank Costello, Iain Dowie, Jack Foster, Horace Glover, Richard Hall, Jimmy Harris, Fred Harrison, George Kay (manager), Joe Kirkup, George Kitchen, Alex McDonald, Alan Pardew (manager) Walter Pollard, Albert Roles, Robbie Slater, David Speedie and Arthur Wilson.
• Thames Ironworks travelled to The Dell to face Southampton in the first-ever meeting between the two clubs on 16 December 1899. The Southern League First Division fixture ended in a Saints 3-1 victory.
• The two clubs met 32 times in the Southern League between 1899 and 1915 and on four more occasions in the First World War London Combination and ten times in the Second World War League South and League South Cup.
• West Ham United were a Football League Division Two club when they travelled to non-league Southampton for an FA Cup third-round tie on 10 January 1920. The game finished goalless, with the Hammers winning the replay 3-1 five days later.
• The first league meeting came in Division Two at the Boleyn Ground on 7 October 1922 and ended 1-1. Southampton won the reverse fixture 2-0 at The Dell a week later. Later the same season, the two clubs met in the FA Cup fourth round, with West Ham won through 1-0 in a second replay.
• The largest win by either side in professional football came on 4 February 1967 at The Dell, when the Saints secured a 6-2 Division One victory.
• West Ham have recorded three 4-0 victories over Southampton at the Boleyn Ground - all in Division Two. They occurred on 27 March 1937, 12 April 1947 and 19 April 1952.
• Southampton have twice won 4-2 at the Boleyn Ground. The first instance occurred on 7 December 1946 in Division Two. The second took place in the Premier League on 25 April 1998.
• The largest crowd to witness a West Ham versus Southampton fixture was the 35,000 who turned out to watch the clubs score a 1-1 Division Two draw on 13 November 1948.
• The smallest crowd to turn out at the Boleyn Ground for a Football League fixture between the Hammers and the Saints was the 14,221 who attended Southampton's 3-2 Division One win here on 22 December 1984.
• Bryan 'Pop' Robson (April 1973) and Paul Goddard (September 1981) are the only two Hammers to have scored senior hat-tricks against Southampton.
• West Ham and Southampton met 23 times in the Premier League between 1993 and 2003. The Hammers won nine times, Southampton six and there were been eight draws.
• in the three Premier League meetings since the pair were promoted together in 2012, West Ham have won once and there have been two draws.
• In total the clubs have met 96 times in the Premier League, Football League, FA Cup and League Cup. West Ham United have won 37, Southampton 30 and there have been 29 draws.
• James Tomkins and Jack Cork were Team GB squad-mates at the London 2012 Olympuic Games and England team-mates at the 2008 UEFA European Under-19 Championship finals and 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship finals.
• Goalkeeper Kelvin Davis spent a short period on trial at West Ham United during the summer of 2009, but opted to sign a new contract with Southampton.
• Saturday's referee is Mark Clattenburg, whose last West Ham United game came in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham in January.
• Clattenburg was the man with the whistle for the stunning 4-0 win against Manchester United in the League Cup fifth round back in November 2010
• The 38-year-old was the man in the middle for the Championship Play-Off semi-final first leg in May 2004 when Ipswich Town won 1-0 against the visiting West Ham.
• Clattenburg has been on the Select List since 2004, the same year he took charge of the Division Three Play-Off final between Mansfield Town and Huddersfield Town at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.
• After becoming a FIFA official in 2006 at the age of 31, Clattenburg has taken control of a number of international and UEFA Champions League matches.
• Clattenburg will be assisted by Simon Beck and Adrian Holmes whilst the fourth official will be Darren Deadman.
• Tickets are still available for Saturday's clash, ticket details can be found here.
• The weather forecast for Saturday afternoon is light cloud with temperatures around 10C (50F).
• There is a good service to Upton Park via the District and Hammersmith and City Lines this weekend, for the latest travel news across the London Underground click here.
• To view service updates on the Greater Anglia train service, click here.
• For the latest travel news on c2c trains, click here.