ASTON VILLA v WEST HAM UNITED
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY 8 FEBRUARY 2014
REFEREE: MIKE DEAN
FULL AUDIO AND TEXT COMMENTARY - WEST HAM TV
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST I INSTAGRAM I YOUTUBE
• West Ham United visit Villa Park on Saturday in the Barclays Premier League looking to record an away win against Aston Villa for the first time since a 2-1 success in January 2006.
• The Hammers head to the Midlands confident that they can get another positive away result having drawn 0-0 with Chelsea and beaten Cardiff City 2-0 in their last two away league outings.
• Sam Allardyce will also be buoyed by a first home win of 2014 which arrived in their last match, a 2-0 win over Swansea City at the Boleyn Ground.
• Victory over the Swans left the Hammers eighteenth in the Premier League, five points behind Saturday's opponents.
• Paul Lambert's side will be looking to improve a home record which has seen them win just one of their last seven matches at Villa Park.
• That solitary success came in a 4-3 win against West Bromwich Albion in the team's last outing in front of their own fans.
• Last time out the Villans succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Everton at Goodison Park with the Toffees netting a late winner.
• That defeat on Merseyside left Aston Villa tenth in the table with 27 points from their 24 league matches.
West Ham United
• Joey O'Brien is the Hammers' only long-term injury casualty with the full-back having undergone an operation on the shoulder he dislocated against Chelsea.
• Winger Joe Cole and midfielder Mohamed Diame will also miss out on the trip to Villa Park with a calf injury and gashed leg respectively.
• The Hammers will also be without the services of Ricardo Vaz Te who is continuing his recovery from injury.
• Striker Andy Carroll starts a three-match ban against the Villans after his sending-off against Swansea City.
• Gabriel Agbonlahor is expected to return to the Villa side following a two-match absence with a foot injury.
• Skipper Ron Vlaar is likely to miss the game with a hamstring problem, but fellow defenders Chris Herd and Joe Bennett are fit again.
Last time out
West Ham United 2-0 Swansea City
Barclays Premier League
1 February 2014
West Ham United: Adrian, McCartney, Tomkins, Collins, Demel, Noble, Nolan (Nocerino 87), Taylor (Reid 79), Jarvis (C Cole 66), Downing, Carroll
Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Johnson, Morrison, Boriello
Goals: Nolan 26, 45
Everton 2-1 Aston Villa
Barclays Premier League
1 February 2014
Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Bertrand, Clark, Baker, Vlaar (Albrighton 80), Westwood, Delph, Weimann (Tonev 87), Benteke, Holt (El Ahmadi 61)
Subs not used: Steer, Sylla, Lowton, Helenius
Goal: Bacuna 34
A sixth clean sheet in ten Premier League matches arrived for the Hammers as they were held by Aston Villa at the Boleyn Ground. Andreas Weimann was a menace early on and but for a last-ditch tackle from Ravel Morrison might have had a goal to celebrate. Kevin Nolan went close for the home side before Christian Benteke rattled a header against the crossbar as the game petered out for a draw.
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Demel, Tomkins, Reid, Rat (Diame 90), Collison (C Cole 63), Noble, Nolan, Downing, Jarvis (J Cole 62), Morrison
Subs not used: Adrian, Maiga, O'Brien, Potts
Aston Villa: Guzan, Vlaar, Baker, Clark, Lowton, Sylla, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Bacuna, Weimann (Kozak 57), Benteke
Subs not used: Steer, Herd, Helenius, Bowery, Tonev, Johnson
Last six meetings (Premier League unless stated)
2 November 2013 - West Ham United 0-0 Aston Villa
10 February 2013 - Aston Villa 2-1 West Ham United
18 August 2012 - West Ham United 1-0 Aston Villa
16 April 2011 - West Ham United 1-2 Aston Villa
14 August 2010 - Aston Villa 3-0 West Ham United
17 January 2010 - Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham United
Overall record v Aston Villa (all competitions) W 38 D 32 L 38
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th (46 points)
2011/12 Championship 3rd (86 points - promoted via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (33 points)
2009/10 Premier League 17th (35 points)
2008/09 Premier League 9th (51 points)
2007/08 Premier League 10th (49 points)
2006/07 Premier League 15th (41 points)
2005/06 Premier League 9th (55 points)
2004/05 Championship 6th (73 points - promoted via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Championship 4th (74 points)
2012/13 Premier League 15th (41 points)
2011/12 Premier League 16th (38 points)
2010/11 Premier League 9th (48 points)
2009/10 Premier League 6th (64 points)
2008/09 Premier League 6th (62 points)
2007/08 Premier League 6th (60 points)
2006/07 Premier League 11th (50 points)
2005/06 Premier League 16th (42 points)
2004/05 Premier League 10th (47 points)
2003/04 Premier League 6th (56 points)
• James Collins swapped east London for Birmingham on 1 September 2009 for an undisclosed fee after making 65 appearances in all competitions for West Ham United, scoring two goals. The Wales centre-back returned to West Ham on 1 August 2012 from the Villans, having scored six goals in 109 games for Aston Villa.
• Carlton Cole would be playing against the team where he spent the 2004/05 season on loan if he makes an appearance on Saturday. Cole scored three goals in 30 league and cup appearances for Aston Villa.
• Stewart Downing spent two years with Aston Villa between 2009 and 2011, scoring eleven times in 82 matches
• Among the other players who have represented both clubs are Billy Askew, John Carew, Alan Curbishley, Mervyn Day, Marlon Harewood, Thomas Hitzlsperger, Ray Houghton, David James, Robbie Keane, Fred Norris, Nigel Reo-Coker, Tony Scott, Les Sealey, Nolberto Solano, Tommy Southren, David Unsworth and Phil Woosnam.
• West Ham United and Aston Villa have met 108 times in total in competitive fixtures. Each club has tasted victory on 38 occasions, with 32 draws.
• The first-ever meeting between the two clubs proved to be a forgettable one for West Ham United, who were beaten 5-0 at Villa Park in the FA Cup second round on 1 February 1913.
• West Ham United's largest victory over Aston Villa came in Division One on 30 August 1958, when the newly-promoted Hammers won 7-2 at the Boleyn Ground. A 30,506-strong crowd saw John Dick, Vic Keeble and Malcolm Musgrove scored twice apiece and Bill Lansdowne once.
• Sam Allardyce faced Aston Villa five times as a manager during the 2009/10 season, when his Blackburn Rovers side were eliminated from the FA Cup and League Cup by the Villans.
• West Ham United's all-time record goalscorer Vic Watson netted 18 goals in 15 appearances against Aston Villa, including three hat-tricks in November 1926, December 1929 and April 1930.
• Marlon Harewood scored a hat-trick against Aston Villa when he bagged three times in a 4-0 home win over Saturday's opponents on 12 September 2005. He later went on to play for Villa.
• A total of 13 West Ham United players have made their debuts against the Villans - Alfred Earl, Ernest England, Alvin Martin, Carlos Tevez, Winston Reid, Pablo Barrera, Frederic Piquionne, Archibald Macauley, Ian Crawford, Bill Green, Craig Forrest, Paulo Alves and Matthew Upson.
• The man in the middle for Saturday's fixture is Mike Dean.
• Dean last refereed the Hammers in a 3-3 draw with West Bromwich Albion on 28 December 2013.
• In all, he has refereed West Ham 35 times, with the Hammers winning 12, losing eleven and drawing twelve of those matches.
• The 45-year-old began refereeing in 1985, starting out his career in senior football in the Northern Premier League.
• In 2004, Dean took charge of his first international match, a friendly between the Netherlands and Republic of Ireland at Amsterdam ArenA. That same year, he took control of the FA Community Shield between Arsenal and Manchester United.
• In May 2006, he refereed the Championship play-off final between Leeds United and Watford at the Millennium Stadium. In 2008, he was the man-in-the-middle for the FA Cup final between Portsmouth and Cardiff City at Wembley Stadium.
• On Saturday Dean will be assisted by Jake Collin and John Brooks, while the fourth official will be Roger East.
• Tickets for the match are SOLD OUT.
• Rain showers are predicted for kick-off time at Villa Park, with temperatures reaching 7C (45F)