WEST HAM UNITED v NEWCASTLE UNITED
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY 18 JANUARY 2014
REFEREE: ANDRE MARRINER
FULL AUDIO AND TEXT COMMENTARY - WEST HAM TV
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST I INSTAGRAM I YOUTUBE
West Ham United would like to welcome today's Match Sponsors Blueprint Properties.
Blueprint Estate Properties are based in Spitalfields, east London, and specialise in residential sales and lettings, new homes and investments, commercial property and land acquisitions/disposals.
With their innovative team of property consultants and investment specialists, they aim to put Blueprint at the forefront of the estate agency domain in London.
For more details, visit www.blueprintproperties.co.uk or call 020 7377 2048, email firstname.lastname@example.org or drop in at 57 Commercial Street, Spitalfields, London E1 6BD.
• West Ham United play their first home game of 2014 when they welcome Newcastle United to the Boleyn Ground for a Barclays Premier League fixture on Saturday.
• The Hammers have played four consecutive away games since their last Boleyn Ground outing, losing at Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Manchester City before ending that run with a much-needed 2-0 victory over Cardiff City last Saturday.
• Carlton Cole and Mark Noble scored the goals as the Hammers chalked up their first league success in eight attempts. West Ham's trip to south Wales also saw Andy Carroll come off the bench for his first appearance of the campaign following a foot injury.
• Sam Allardyce's side moved out of the bottom three thanks to the victory and currently sit 17th in the table, with 18 points from 21 games.
• Newcastle United have enjoyed a strong first half of the campaign, although they arrive in E13 having lost their last four fixtures in all competitions.
• Edin Dzeko and Alvaro Negredo scored in a 2-0 defeat to Manchester City last Sunday, while Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion and Cardiff City have all beaten Alan Pardew's men in recent weeks.
• Despite losing their last three league outings, the Magpies still sit eighth in the table, with 33 points from their 21 games.
West Ham United
• James Tomkins serves a one-game ban this weekend after being sent-off in last weekend's victory at Cardiff for a second bookable offence. Kevin Nolan is also banned as he serves the final match of his four-game suspension.
• Ravel Morrison could return to the squad following a groin injury, while James Collins is also targeting a comeback after his recent calf problem. However, Winston Reid remains sidelined with an ankle injury.
Last Time Out
West Ham United
Saturday 11 January 2014
Barclays Premier League
West Ham United 2-0 Cardiff City
West Ham United: Adrian; Demel (McCartney 17), Johnson, Tomkins, Rat; Collison (Diarra 75), Noble, Collison; Downing, C.Cole (Carroll 72), Jarvis
Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Maiga, Diame, J.Cole
Goals: C.Cole 42, Noble 90
Sunday 12 January 2014
Barclays Premier League
Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester City
Newcastle United: Krul; Santon, Williamson, S.Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa (Haidara 82), Anita (Cisse 73), Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Remy, Gouffran (Ben Arfa 82)
Subs not used: Elliot, Gosling, Marveaux, Sa.Ameobi
West Ham United's Barclays Premier League status was all but secure when relegation-threatened Newcastle United arrived in east London on Saturday 4 May 2013. Newcastle came closest in the first half, when Winston Reid miraculously cleared Papiss Cisse's shot off the line, while West Ham saw two Kevin Nolan efforts saved by Tim Krul and Andy Carroll head wide.
Saturday 4 May 2013
Barclays Premier League
Newcastle United 0-0 West Ham United
Newcastle United: Krul, Debuchy, Yanga-M'Biwa, Coloccini, Santon; Marveaux (Sa.Ameobi 66), Anita, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Sh.Ameobi, Cisse (Gouffran 72)
Subs: Elliot, Gosling, Bigrimana, Vuckic, Dummett
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen; Demel, Collins, Reid, O'Brien; Nolan, Noble, Diame (Morrison 75); Downing (Cole 63), Maiga, Jarvis
Subs: Adrian, Tomkins, Rat, Vaz Te, Diarra
Last six meetings (Premier League unless stated)
24 August 2013 - Newcastle United 0-0 West Ham United
4 May 2013 - West Ham United 0-0 Newcastle United
11 November 2012 - Newcastle United 0-1 West Ham United
5 January 2011 - Newcastle United 5-0 West Ham United
23 October 2010 - West Ham United 1-2 Newcastle United
10 January 2009 - Newcastle United 2-2 West Ham United
Overall record v Newcastle United - P 124, W 38, D 37, L 49
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th
2011/12 Championship 3rd (promoted via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Division One 4th
2012/13 Premier League 16th
2011/12 Premier League 5th
2010/11 Premier League 12th
2009/10 Championship 1st (promoted to Premier League)
2008/09 Premier League 18th (relegated to Championship)
2007/08 Premier League 12th
2006/07 Premier League 13th
2005/06 Premier League 7th
2004/05 Premier League 14th
2003/04 Premier League 5th
·West Ham United and Newcastle United first met on 1 February 1908 at St James' Park. On that day the Magpies emerged as 2-0 winners of the FA Cup second round tie which was played in front of nearly 50,000 people.
·The Hammers had failed in their first 17 attempts to get an away win against Newcastle when finally victory did arrive on 26 May 1947. Almeric Hall, Jackie Wood and Ken Bainbridge were on target to score a 3-2 Second Division victory.
·The Club's largest victory at St James' Park came on 31 October 1998. Two goals from striker Ian Wright and one from Trevor Sinclair secured an emphatic 3-0 Premier League victory.
·The highest scoring encounter between the sides at St James' Park came back on 10 December 1960 when the teams played out a 5-5 draw. For the visitors, John Bond, Dave Dunmore, John Dick, Malcolm Musgrove and an own-goal from Alf McMichael earned them a share of the spoils.
• West Ham United skipper Kevin Nolan scored 30 goals in 91 appearances for Newcastle United between January 2009 and May 2011, captaining the Magpies to the Championship title in 2009/10.
• Hammers striker Andy Carroll was born in Gateshead and came through the Academy ranks at Newcastle United. The 25-year-old netted 33 goals in 91 games for the Magpies before joining Liverpool in a record £35m deal in January 2011.
• Sam Allardyce took charge of Newcastle United 24 times between May 2007 and January 2008, winning eight matches, losing ten and drawing six.
• Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew spent a little more than three years in charge at West Ham between October 2003 and December 2006. Pardew led the Hammers to promotion via the play-offs in 2004/05 and the 2006 FA Cup final. In total, he took charge of 163 matches, winning 67, losing 58 and drawing 38.
• Others who have played for both clubs include Demba Ba, Craig Bellamy, Lee Bowyer, Franz Carr, John Dowsey, Kieron Dyer, Dave Gardner, Paul Goddard, Shaka Hislop, James Jackson, Vic Keeble, Matthew Kingsley, Paul Kitson, Robert Lee, Joe Loughlin, Scott Parker, Stuart Pearce, Wayne Quinn, Bryan 'Pop' Robson, George Robson, Keith Robson, Harold Smith, Nolberto Solano, Hal Tate and David Terrier.
• The man in the middle for Saturday's fixture is Andre Marriner.
• Marriner last took charge of a West Ham United game when he refereed the 0-0 draw with Sunderland in December - the second goalless stalemate he has overseen for the Hammers, following the trip to Southampton in September..
• Birmingham-born Marriner began refereeing in 1992, progressing through the Birmingham Amateur Football League and Southern League to become a Football League assistant referee in 2000.
• He was appointed to the Football League List of Referees in 2003 before joining the Select Group in 2005. Since then he has also been added to FIFA's International List in 2009.
• Tickets for Saturday's game remain on General Sale. You can secure your seat now at www.whufcboxoffice.com
• The weather forecast for Saturday is for light rain at 3pm, with temperatures at 9C (46F).
• No closures are planned on the eastern section of the District and Hammersmith & City Lines this weekend. Click here for the latest travel info on TfL routes, here for Greater Anglia train services, and here for c2c services