West Ham United Ladies returned to winning ways on Sunday when they recorded a 3-1 victory over Chesham United at Ship Lane.

Chesham were one of only two clubs below the Hammers in the FA Women's Premier League Southern Division going into this contest, so the pressure was on the Hammers to perform and end their nine-game wait for victory.

They started with real intent, taking the lead just four minutes in. The move started wide on the left, where Jade Skillen and Kelley Blanchflower caused all sorts of problems for the Chesham defence, and as the ball was played out to the edge of the penalty box, Cherrelle Albert struck the ball sweetly into the bottom far corner of the net.

West Ham kept pushing forward and from a deep corner, Danica Revell, back after eleven weeks out through injury, struck the ball towards goal only for the hand of a defender to intervene and a penalty was awarded.

Cherrelle Albert stepped up for the kick and blasted the ball home after 14 minutes.

At the start of the second half Chesham looked the more likely team to score, although the Hammers defence remained resolute and Chesham failed to regularly test keeper Toni-Anne Wayne on her final appearance after many years of service for the Hammers before her transfer to Brighton & Hove Albion.

However, on a quick break the Hammers defence were caught out, when a long ball out of defence found the lone Chesham striker who looped the ball high over Wayne and into the net on 65 minutes.

The game became a little more frantic as Chesham searched for the equaliser but the Hammers held on and with a minute remaining Becky Merritt sealed the victory by finishing off a cross from the left with a solid strike from ten yards.

West Ham United: Toni-Anne Wayne, Vicky King, Jade Skillen, Danica Revell, Hayley West, Emily Masters, Stacey Little (Zoe Lipley-Hinton 60), Lindsey Morgan, Cherrelle Albert (Sarah McCrea 79), Becky Merritt, Kelley Blanchflower.
Subs (not used) : Lauren Picton, Abbie Solly, Lily Mellors