Matt Taylor's emphatic 76th minute penalty sent West Ham on their way to a 2-0 victory over Burnley in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night.

The Hammers were made to work hard for their victory by the top-of-the-table Championship side but eventually made their class tell in the second period.

Jack Collison made the game safe with a second penalty at the death and Taylor, an ever present in the Hammers' cup run, was delighted to book a quarter-final slot.

He told "We didn't have a particularly great first half, but the manager came in and changed the formation and personnel at half time, and we went out in the second half and put them on the back foot.

"I know we've won it with two penalties but I still thought that we were the better team and that it was a fully deserved win.

"It was a very difficult game tonight, they're doing exceptionally well in the league and it was one in which we had to grind it out and work hard. They're a good team and judging by what we've seen tonight they have a good chance of getting promoted to the Premier League."

Burnley started strongly as the Hammers took their time adapting to a new-look 3-5-2 system, but Sam Allardyce's side, which included a number of homegrown youngsters, improved after the break to see off the hosts.

Taylor added: "We did our homework and had a lot of information about Burnley and we knew they would pressure us high up the pitch. Their gameplan worked in the first half and ours did in the second half. It was really pleasing to get the result and get in the hat for the next round.

"Jack [Collison] came on and did exceptionally well in the second half. It was nice for the lads who haven't played a lot of football, especially the young boys, to experience a good, competitive game in a good, competitive arena.

"They realise that if they want to make a career in the game, then these are the nights they need to learn from. I think they did do that, the young lads played exceptionally well and they'll grow in stature and hopefully get more chances in the future."

Taylor's penalty conversion was his first goal since September last year, so he was delighted to play his part - although disappointed that he had to sit out the final few minutes after picking up a knock to his calf.

He added: "It's been a while since I've taken a penalty, but I'm confident in my own ability that I can put it in a decent area. The goalkeeper went the right way, but it had enough power on it to go in.

"It was a very good penalty from Jack too and I'm really happy for him. Had I been on the pitch I might have tried to take it off him, but I wasn't and I'm really happy for him.

"It's nice to score and hopefully look towards a positive rest of the season."

The Hammers were backed by a 2,000-strong travelling army and the 31-year-old finished with special praise for them.

He said: "It's a great reault for the Club and we have to thank the 2,000 fans who have made the long journey up on a Tuesday night for making that journey. It was very good to see them here and nice to send them home happy."