West Ham United 1-3 Manchester City
Barclays Premier League

West Ham United were unable to prevent Manchester City from recording their first away Barclays Premier League win of the season on Saturday evening.

Ricardo Vaz Te's 58th minute overhead kick gave them hope of overturning a two-goal deficit to Sergio Aguero's brace either side of half-time, but City always seemed to have the edge and sealed a 3-1 victory with a David Silva goal.

There were still positives to take for the Hammers, who did not allow the game to run away from them as it could have done at 2-0, and forced City onto the back foot for a spell around Vaz Te's strike.

The visitors showed their strength in seeing off the hosts, however, as they moved into the top four,

Ravel Morrison had the Boleyn Ground crowd on its feet with a spin away from Yaya Toure on 14 minutes. He laid off to Mark Noble, who found Mohamed Diame, and his swerving shot faded away and past Joe Hart's far post.

A minute later Manchester City went on the attack and Winston Reid cot caught on the wrong side of Alvaro Negredo as the ball was played into him inside the area, but the New Zealander recovered to tackle.

However, the Hammers did not heed the warning and they found themselves behind a minute later when Negredo cleverly let Fernandinho's pass run through his legs and into Aguero, who was suddenly in the clear and he kept his calm to roll beyond Jussi Jaaskelainen and into the far corner.

Three minutes later Augero was presented with a great chance to double the tally when Negredo leapt highest to nod David Silva's dink into the box back to the Argentinean, but his shot was directed straight at Jaaskelainen.

City seemed to have a greater intensity about them and Negredo showed huge desire to dispossess James Tomkins on the edge of his own box on 32 minutes before dragging a left-footed shot past the far post.

West Ham's moments of threat before the break were limited, although with 40 minutes played Micah Richards and Javi Garcia combined strongly to block a Vaz Te header following Stewart Downing's right wing cross.

At the other end Jaaskelainen had to tip a Toure scorcher over the top and City did not have to wait too long after the interval to stretch their advantage.

The simplicity of the 51st minute goal would have annoyed Hammers boss Sam Allardyce as Aguero was left all alone to nod Silva's left wing free kick into the top left corner of the net.

West Ham found that the best way to stem the tide was to go on the attack themselves and they were right back in the contest just seven minutes later.

Vaz Te bagged his second goal in as many games, improvising well to acrobatically volley home after Downing and Ravel Morrison had done well to keep a Razvan Rat cross alive at the far post.

The game had a great tempo about it at this stage and the lively Negredo almost restored his team's two-goal advantage just past the hour, but his angled shot crashed against the bar and to safety.

Shortly afterwards Jaaskelainen was at full stretch to deny Aguero his hat trick, but City could not be contained as an attacking threat and they made sure of the points ten minutes from time.

Silva was the goalscorer, sidestepping Reid and firing home after Aguero made the space in the area to back heel to his teammate.

The goal gave the visitors a healthy cushion as they entered the closing stages and the Hammers were unable to come again.

West Ham United: Jaaskelainen; Deme (O'Brien 65), Tomkins, Reid, Rat; Nolan (Petric 82), Noble, Diame; Downing, Morrison, Vaz Te (Jarvis 65)
Subs: Adrian, Taylor, C.Cole, J.Cole

Goal: Vaz Te 58

Booked: Noble

Manchester City: Hart; Richards, Garcia, Nastasic, Clichy; Nasri (Milner 74), Toure, Fernandinho, Silva; Negredo (Kolarov 65), Aguero (Jovetic 82)
Subs: Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Lescott, Dzeko

Goals: Aguero 16, 51, Silva 80

Booked: Silva, Nastasic

Referee: Michael Oliver

Attendance: 34,907