A West Ham United XI slipped to a 4-2 friendly defeat at the Boleyn Ground on Thursday afternoon, as Charlton Athletic came from behind to register victory in this behind-closed-doors contest.

Summer recruit Mladen Petric netted his first goal in claret and blue to hand the Hammers a first-half lead, only for a Basile Camerling equaliser and Joe Pigott's double to put the visitors firmly in the ascendency. 

Second-half substitute George Moncur halved the Hammers' arrears with 64 minutes gone, but Mark Gower's late volley all but settled matters.

The Hammers had earlier created the game's first chance of note, as Matt Jarvis' deep centre picked out the run of Petric, but the latter could get no purchase on his header, as it looped into the arms of Addicks 'keeper Ben Alnwick.

At the other end, trialist Camerling tried his luck from range, seeing his effort flash narrowly wide of Adrian's right-hand upright.

But it was the Hammers who hit the front in the 24th minute, with Jarvis again providing the ammunition for Petric. This time, the Croat timed his leap perfectly, nodding home Jarvis' left-wing centre emphatically.

The lead, however, would last little more than two minutes, as Jordan Cook broke free down the right, before crossing for Camerling to neatly volley into the far corner.

And the Addicks completed the turnaround five minutes before the interval, when Guy Demel was adjudged to have impeded Pigott in the area. Pigott picked himself up to dispatch the resulting spot-kick, albeit one that just evaded the dive of Adrian.

Meanwhile, Petric might well have doubled his tally within 90 seconds of the restart, but his firmly struck free-kick curled the wrong side of the post.

Moments later and Pelly Ruddock should really have headed the Hammers level, but powered Stewart Downing's corner over the bar from six yards out.

It was to prove a costly miss as the Addicks soon doubled their advantage. Camerling seized upon Cook's fine through ball and though Adrian repelled his initial effort, he was powerless to prevent Pigott from slotting home the rebound.

It was all change for the hosts on the hour, with George Moncur, Kieran Sadlier and Callum Driver joining the fray, in place of James Tomkins, Downing and Joe Cole.

And it had the desired effect too, as Chambers lofted a delightful ball into the path of Moncur, who took a touch before curling into the far corner.

But Moncur's goal couldn't quite prompt a Hammers comeback as Charlton added a fourth late on. With the ball cannoning around the Hammers box, it eventually fell to Gower, whose measured volley beat Adrian via the inside of the post.  

West Ham United: Adrian, Demel (Chambers 46), Tomkins (Driver 60), Ruddock, Potts, J Cole (Moncur 60), Downing (Sadlier 60), Taylor, Jarvis, C Cole, Petric.
Substitutes not used: Nemrava, Lee, Whitehead.