HULL CITY v WEST HAM UNITED
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY 28 SEPTEMBER 2013
REFEREE: KEVIN FRIEND
FULL AUDIO AND TEXT COMMENTARY - WEST HAM TV
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST
Hull City v West Ham United
• West Ham United travel to the KC Stadium on Saturday looking to extend their unbeaten away run to three Barclays Premier League matches following goalless draws at Newcastle United and Southampton.
• West Ham are the only team in the Barclays Premier League not to have conceded a goal on their travels this season.
• The Hammers are without a win since the opening day of the season in the league but will be boosted by a 3-2 win over Cardiff City in the Capital One Cup third round on Tuesday night.
• West Ham are unbeaten in their last five matches against the Tigers stretching back to January 2009. The Hammers won 2-1 on their most-recent visit to the KC Stadium in November 2011.
• West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is also without defeat in his last five matches against Hull - three with Blackburn and two with the Hammers.
• Following Hull's promotion to the Barclays Premier League last season, Steve Bruce's side have picked up seven points from five games, leaving them eleventh in the table. A 3-2 win away at Newcastle last Saturday followed a 1-1 draw with Cardiff in their most-recent home fixture.
• The Tigers also progressed in the Capital One Cup this week, defeating Huddersfield Town 1-0 to set-up a fourth round trip to Tottenham Hotspur next month.
West Ham United
• Midfielder Mark Noble is available again after serving a one-match ban for being sent-off in last weekend's home defeat by Everton.
• The fit-again winger Stewart Downing returns to the squad after recovering from the dead leg he suffered against Stoke City on 31 August.
• Right-back Guy Demel is also available again after missing the home games with Everton and Cardiff with a thigh problem.
• Joe Cole (hamstring) will not be risked, while Andy Carroll (foot) is continuing his rehabilitation. Alou Diarra (knee) also remains sidelined.
• Jordan Spence is on loan at Championship club Sheffield Wednesday.
• Centre-back James Chester has been ruled out for eight weeks with a pulled hamstring. His place is set to go to former West Ham defender Abdoulaye Faye.
• Tigers captain Robert Koren is also definitely out with an ankle problem.
• Steve Bruce could recall left-back Maynor Figueroa after the Honduras international was granted compassionate leave.
• Republic of Ireland international defender Paul McShane will hope to feature following a hamstring injury.
• Mark Oxley (Oldham Athletic), Conor Townsend (Carlisle United), Jack Hobbs (Nottingham Forest), Cameron Stewart (Charlton Athletic), Matty Fryatt (Sheffield Wednesday) and Tom Cairney (Blackburn Rovers) are all out on loan.
• The first-ever meeting between West Ham United and Hull City took place at Anlaby Road on 17 April 1920. Dan Bailey scored the Hammers' goal in a 1-1 Division Two draw played out in front of 8,000 spectators.
• The largest crowd to witness a Hull City versus West Ham United fixture is the 35,964 who turned out at Boothferry Park to watch the Tigers defeat the Hammers 1-0 in Division Two on 25 August 1952.
• West Ham United have recorded four victories in 20 visits to Hull City in all competitions and have never won by more than a one-goal margin on Tigers territory. The Hammers have won 3-2 twice at Hull - in the FA Cup first round in January 1923 and in Division Two in March 1936.
• Hull City's biggest-ever home win over West Ham United took place on 17 September 1934, when the Tigers ran out 4-0 Division Two winners at Anlaby Road in front of a crowd of just 5,000.
• West Ham United's biggest away win over Hull City came on 5 November 2011 in an npower Championship match. The Hammers ran out 2-0 winners thanks to goals from Sam Baldock and Jack Collison.
• Eleven players have made their West Ham United debuts against Hull City - Jim Simmons (August 1920), Albert Foan and Eric Betts (both August 1950), George Wright, Doug Bing and Bert Hawkins (all September 1951), George Petchey (September 1952), Paul Kelly (January 1990), Matthew Rush (October 1990), Iain Dowie (March 1991) and Savio Nsereko (January 2009). Danny Shea also made his second Hammers 'debut' alongside Simmons in August 1920.
• The following players have worn the colours of both West Ham United and Hull City during their careers - Tommy Brandon, Jimmy Bullard, Roy Carroll, Alf Fenwick, Richard Garcia, Cliff Hubbard, Mark Noble, Stuart Pearson, Abdoulaye Faye and Tony Weldon.
• Mark Noble spent three months on loan at Hull between February and May 2006, making five Championship appearances.
• Hull full-back Liam Rosenior is the son of former West Ham United striker Leroy Rosenior.
Last time out
West Ham United 3-2 Cardiff City
Capital One Cup third round
Tuesday 24 September 2013
West Ham United: Adrian, Chambers, Collins, Tomkins, McCartney (Rat 82), Collison, Taylor, Morrison (Diame 58), Vaz Te, Jarvis, Maiga (Petric 46)
Subs not used: Henderson, Ruddock, Moncur, Nolan
Goals: Morrison 1, Jarvis 8, Vaz Te 88
Hull City 1-0 Huddersfield Town
Capital One Cup third round
Tuesday 24 September 2013
Hull City: Harper, Rosenior, Bruce, Dudgeon, Faye, Meyler, Boyd, Quinn (Henderson 74), Fryatt (Gedo 68), Sagbo, Proschwitz
Subs not used: Jakupovic, Davies, Huddlestone, Livermore, Elmohamady
Goals: Proschwitz 59
West Ham United welcomed Hull City to the Boleyn Ground for the final game of the 2011/12 Championship season. The Hammers knew they had to win to have any chance of gaining automatic promotion, but Southampton's 4-0 home win over relegated Coventry City meant Carlton Cole's brace was in vain. Corry Evans scored a late consolation for the Tigers in front of a capacity 35,000 crowd.
West Ham United 2-1 Hull City
28 April 2012
West Ham United: Green, Demel, Reid, Tomkins, Taylor, O'Neil, Noble, Nolan (McCartney 74), Lansbury, Cole (Baldock 52), Vaz Te (Maynard 60)
Subs not used: Collison, Faubert
Goals: Cole 36, 49
Hull City: Mannone, Rosenior, Chester, Cooper, Dawson, Cairney (Brady 73), McKenna, Evans, Garcia, Fryatt, King (Stewart 46)
Subs not used: Oxley, Bradley, Cullen
Goals: Evans 81
Head to head
Last six meetings
28 April 2012 West Ham United 2-1 Hull City (Championship)
5 November 2011 Hull City 0-2 West Ham United (Championship)
20 February 2010 West Ham United 3-0 Hull City (Premier League)
21 November 2009 Hull City 3-3 West Ham United (Premier League)
28 January 2009 West Ham United 2-0 Hull City (Premier League)
19 October 2008 Hull City 1-0 West Ham United (Premier League)
Overall record v Hull City (all competitions) W 17 D 14 L 10
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th
2011/12 Championship 3rd (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Championship 4th
2012/13 Championship 2nd (promoted to Premier League)
2011/12 Championship 8th
2010/11 Championship 11th
2009/10 Premier League 19th (relegated to Championship)
2008/09 Premier League 17th
2007/08 Championship 3rd (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2006/07 Championship 21st
2005/06 Championship 18th
2004/05 League One 2nd (promoted to Championship)
2003/04 Division Three 2nd (promoted to League One)
• Saturday's referee will be Kevin Friend.
• A member of the Select Group of Premier League officials, Friend took charge of the 2012 FA Community Shield between Chelsea and Manchester City.
• Friend started refereeing at the age of 13.
• He began officiating in the Leicestershire Senior League and Midland Football Alliance before being promoted to the National List of Assistant Referees in 2000 and the National List of Referees in 2003.
• He was promoted to the Select Group ahead of the 2009/10 season and took charge of his first Premier League fixture on 20 September 2009, with Wolverhampton Wanderers beating Fulham 2-1.
• Friend did not referee West Ham at all in the Barclays Premier League last season and was last in the middle for a league match involving West Ham during the 2011/12 season.
• Friend was also in charge for the SBOBET Cup victory over Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna in August 2010 and the pre-season visit of Portuguese side Pacos de Ferreira last month.
• West Ham fans have until 3pm to secure their seats for this All-Ticket fixture. For full details of how to buy tickets, click here.
• Saturday's weather forecast is for a sunny day on Humberside, with a maximum daytime temperature of 16C (61F).