COLCHESTER UNITED v WEST HAM UNITED
WESTON HOMES COMMUNITY STADIUM
TUESDAY 16 JULY 2013
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST
• Pre-season continues apace for West Ham United as they make the short journey north up the A12 to face Colchester United on Tuesday.
• The Hammers have won three from three pre-season contests so far since their return at the start of July, defeating Cork City 6-2 to round off a successful week in the Republic of Ireland, before Boreham Wood and AFC Bournemouth were seen off on UK shores.
• Championship outfit Bournemouth fell victim to first half strikes from Kevin Nolan and Jack Collison at the weekend and Nolan already has two goals to his name this summer.
• Colchester, meanwhile, are in the midst of their preparations for a League One campaign, which kicks-off in under three weeks. They have also played three friendlies to date, defeating non-league trio Heybridge Swifts, AFC Sudbury and Bishop's Stortford.
West Ham United
• Sam Allardyce is set to name a strong squad for Tuesday's visit to Colchester. Joey O'Brien and Mohamed Diame made their first appearances of pre-season at Bournemouth and could be in line for another run-out at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
• Andy Carroll and George McCartney remain sidelined with heel and knee injuries respectively.
• Former Hammer Freddie Sears now plays at Colchester United and will be hoping to take to the pitch against his former employers. Colchester's summer signings include former Arsenal youngsters Craig Eastmond and Sanchez Watt.
• West Ham United and Colchester United have never met in competitive action, although Sam Allardyce's men did face the U's in a pre-season match last summer, with the Hammers running out 2-1 winners.
• All the goals came before half time on that occasion, with Mark Noble's penalty adding to Nicky Maynard's early opener. Anthony Wordsworth pulled one back for the hosts, but they could not find a route back into the game.
• Founded in 1937, Colchester United played in the Southern League initially and quickly usurped Colchester Town as the town's foremost club. They reached the fifth round of the FA Cup in 1948 and were elected to the Football League two years later. Promoted back into the League after two years away in 1992, Colchester were to play second tier football for the first time when they gained promotion in 2006. They currently play in League One.
Last Time Out
Saturday 13 July 2013
Stephen Purches Testimonial
AFC Bournemouth 0-2 West Ham United
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Demel (O'Brien 46), Collins (Tomkins 61), Reid (Potts 61), Rat (Taylor 61), Nolan (Engelaar 51), Noble (Diame 61), Collison (Diarra 61), Vaz Te (Cole 61), Maiga (McCallum 81), Jarvis (Morrison 61)
Goals: Nolan 8, Collison 45
Saturday 13 July 2013
Bishop's Stortford 0-2 Colchester United
Colchester United: Cousins (Phillips 62), Olufemi (Wilson 62), Gilbey (Pappoe 62), Okuonghae (Eastman 62), O'Donaghue (Barrett 62), David Wright (Izzet 62), O'Toole (Bond 62), Bean (Sanderson 62), Massey (Drey Wright 62), Ibehre (Morrison 62), Ladapo (Spence 46 (Watt 67))
Goals: Massey 52, Morrison pen 75
21 July 2012
Colchester United 1-2 West Ham United
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Demel (Spence 76), Reid, McCartney, Taylor, Noble, O'Neil, Nolan (Potts 5), Kazim Richards (Vaz Te 46), Maynard, Cole (Mohsni 62)
Subs not used: Larkins, Driver, Hall, Moncur, Nasha, Morrison
Goals: Maynard 16, Noble pen 32,
Colchester United: Cousins, Okounghae, Bean (Bond 59), Eastman (Wright 59), Coker, Wilson (White 67), Wordsworth (Rose 67), Duguid (Henderson 46), O'Toole (Izzet 59), Morrison (Heath 59), Sears (Gilbey 67)
Subs: Pentney, Aldred
Goal: Wordsworth 39
The clubs have never met in competitive football
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th
2011/12 Championship 3rd (86 points - promoted via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Division One 4th
2012/13 League One 20th
2011/12 League One 10th
2010/11 League One 10th
2009/10 League One 8th
2008/09 League One 12th
2007/08 Championship 24th (relegated to League One)
2006/07 Championship 10th
2005/06 League One 2nd (promoted to Championship)
2004/05 League One 15th
2003/04 League One 11th
• Tickets for this match are available from Colchester United FC. For full details click here.
• Cloudy skies are anticipated in Colchester on Tuesday evening, but temperatures are set to remain high, with 23C (73F) expected at kick-off.