AFC BOURNEMOUTH v WEST HAM UNITED
STEPHEN PURCHES TESTIMONIAL
SATURDAY 13 JULY
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST
• West Ham United's pre-season schedule continues on Saturday with a trip to newly-promoted Football League Championship side AFC Bournemouth.
• The match is a testimonial for Hammers Academy graduate Stephen Purches, who has served Bournemouth for ten years across two spells. Purches, 33, spent two years as a professional at the Boleyn Ground before moving on to Bournemouth, and has also turned out for Leyton Orient in a career that has spanned across all three Football League divisions.
• The Hammers have enjoyed a free-scoring start to pre-season, defeating Cork City 6-2 in their first match last Sunday, before goals from Ravel Morrison, Ricardo Vaz Te and Kevin Nolan handed them a 3-0 win at Conference South side Boreham Wood on Wednesday.
• Bournemouth have already played three pre-season matches, losing 2-0 at FC Zurich in their opener, before defeating local non-league sides Wimborne Town 2-1 and Christchurch 7-1.
West Ham United
• The Hammers will once again be without Andy Carroll (heel) and George McCartney (knee) as the pair continue to receive treatment on their injuries at the start of pre-season..
• Sam Allardyce will name a similar squad to that which has appeared at Cork City and Boreham Wood, with his players continuing to build their fitness ahead of the new campaign. A 24-man squad will head for the Goldsands Stadium, with the vast majority expected to appear on Saturday.
• Former Bournemouth favourites Darren Anderton and Steve Fletcher will play a part in Saturday's testimonial, as will Stephen Purches' brother John, who helped Bournemouth to gain promotion to League One in 2003.
• West Ham United and Bournemouth have met on five occasions in competitive football, with the Hammers enjoying an undefeated record. West Ham have won three of those games, with the other two ending all-square.
• The last game came back in October 1999 when Harry Redknapp's Hammers were paired with Bournemouth, who he had managed earlier in his career, in the third round of the League Cup. West Ham prevailed by a 2-0 margin, with Frank Lampard and Marc Keller notching in front of a 22,067 Boleyn Ground crowd.
• AFC Bournemouth were founded in 1890 as Boscombe FC and joined the Football League in 1923. They entered the second tier for the first time in 1987 under Harry Redknapp, and returned there last season after finishing second in League One.
Last Time Out
Wednesday 10 July 2013
Boreham Wood 0-3 Boreham Wood
West Ham United: (First half XI) Adrian, Demel, Ruddock, Reid, Rat, Noble, Collison, Taylor, Vaz Te, McCallum, Morrison
(Second half XI): Jaaskelainen, Spence, Collins, Tomkins, Potts, Diarra, Whitehead, Nolan, Cole, Maiga, Jarvis
Goals: Morrison 20, Vaz Te 21, Nolan 83
Tuesday 9 July 2013
Christchurch 1-7 AFC Bournemouth
AFC Bournemouth: (First half XI) Flahavan, Fogden, Addison, Ward, Daniels, Cornick, Matthews, Arter, Fraser, Pitman, Stockley
(Second half XI) Flahavan, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Harte, McDermott, MacDonald, Wakefield, Cargill, Grabban, Thomas
Goals: Pitman 8, Arter 34, 36, Stockley 44, Grabban 57, Cargill 76, McDermott 79.
13 October 1999
League Cup Third Round
West Ham United 2-0 AFC Bournemouth
West Ham United: Hislop, Ferdinand, Ruddock, Cole, Stimac, Foe, Sinclair, Wanchope (Kitson 85), Di Canio, Lampard, Keller
Goals: Keller 62, Lampard 77
AFC Bournemouth: Ovendale, Howe, Young, Cox, Broadhurst, Jorgensen (O'Neil 89), Mean, Robinson, Warren (Huck 81), Stein, Fletcher
13 October 1999 West Ham United 2-0 AFC Bournemouth (League Cup Third Round)
11 April 1990 West Ham United 4-1 AFC Bournemouth (Division Two)
1 November 1989 AFC Bournemouth 1-1 West Ham United (Division Two)
20 February 1929 West Ham United 3-1 AFC Bournemouth (FA Cup Fifth Round Replay)
16 February 1929 AFC Bournemouth 1-1 West Ham United (FA Cup Fifth Round)
West Ham United
2012/13 Premier League 10th
2011/12 Championship 3rd (86 points - promoted via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (relegated to Championship)
2009/10 Premier League 17th
2008/09 Premier League 9th
2007/08 Premier League 10th
2006/07 Premier League 15th
2005/06 Premier League 9th
2004/05 Championship 6th (promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Division One 4th
2012/13 League One 2nd (promoted to Championship)
2011/12 League One 11th
2010/11 League One 6th
2009/10 League Two 2nd (promoted to League One)
2008/09 League Two 21st
2007/08 League One 21st (relegated to League Two)
2006/07 League One 19th
2005/06 League One 17th
2004/05 League One 8th
2003/04 League One 9th
• West Ham's ticket allocation for this match has completely sold out. For details click here.
• Saturday is set to be a glorious day on the south coast, with sunny skies and temperatures set to hit 28C (82F)