Winston Reid will captain New Zealand for the first time in their crucial FIFA World Cup qualifier against New Caledonia in Dunedin on Friday.
The West Ham United centre-back has captained the Hammers in each of their previous two Barclays Premier League fixtures in the absence of injured regular skipper Kevin Nolan.
Now, Reid has been handed the armband by All Whites manager Ricki Herbert ahead of Friday's fixture and next Tuesday's trip to Honiara to tackle the Solomon Islands.
"It's a tremendous honour and privilege to captain your country and I'm humbled by the opportunity," said Reid, who has started all 29 Barclays Premier League fixtures for the club this season.
"As a captain, I just try to give 100 per cent and try to help out my team-mates. I try to be a good role model and try to do my best and encourage everyone to try their hardest and be a winner."
Reid was first handed the West Ham captaincy by manager Sam Allardyce for the FA Cup with Budweiser third-round replay at Manchester United in January.
Capped 14 times by his country and a veteran of the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals, the 24-year-old will lead out his country for the first time at the Forsyth Barr Stadium, where kick-off will be at 6.35am UK time on Friday.
"We've thought long and hard about this decision," said All Whites coach Herbert, "Winston plays and at a high level week in and week out and has captained his side in that environment, just as Ryan Nelsen did previously.
"For a young man to have that level of responsibility speaks volumes of his character, especially when you look at his peers in similar roles within the Premier League."
Reid will be one of nine West Ham players in action for their respective countries over the weekend.
• Jack Collison and James Collins are in the Wales squad for 2014 FIFA World Cup European Group A qualifiers with Scotland in Glasgow on Friday 22 March and Croatia in Swansea on Tuesday 26 March.
• Emanuel Pogatetz is in the Austria squad for 2014 FIFA World Cup European Group C qualifiers with Faroe Islands in Vienna on Friday 22 March and Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Tuesday 26 March.
• Mohamed Diame's Senegal host Angola in a 2014 FIFA World Cup African Group J qualifier in Guinee Conakry on Saturday 23 March.
• Raphael Spiegel is in the Switzerland U21 squad for international friendly matches with Germany in Cologne on Friday 22 March and Baden on Tuesday 26 March.
• Kieran Sadlier and Sean Maguire are in the Republic of Ireland U19 squad for an international friendly with a Gibraltar Select XI in Malaga on Friday 22 March.
• Marcio Martins is in the Portugal U17 squad for UEFA European U17 Championship Elite Round Group 6 qualifiers with England, Slovenia and Russia in Walsall and Loughborough between 23-28 March.