WEST HAM UNITED v NORWICH CITY
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
TUESDAY 1 JANUARY 2013
REFEREE: MARK CLATTENBURG
FULL AUDIO AND TEXT COMMENTARY - WEST HAM TV
iPHONE APP I TWITTER I FACEBOOK I PODCAST
• West Ham United host Norwich City on New Year's Day with both clubs looking to get back to winning ways following defeats against Reading and Manchester City respectively.
• The clubs have already met once this season in a 0-0 draw, as Sam Allardyce's side picked up their first away point of the 2012/13 season.
• Norwich sit two points clear of West Ham United after taking 25 points from 20 games, the Hammers do, however, have a game in hand. West Ham are 12th in the table going in to the game and will go above their visitors if they win.
• West Ham United verses Norwich City is one of seven games taking place in the Barclays Premier League on New Year's Day, the others are as follows (3pm unless stated): West Bromwich Albion v Fulham (12.45pm), Manchester City v Stoke City, Swansea City v Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur v Reading, Wigan Athletic v Manchester United, Southampton v Arsenal (5.30pm).
West Ham United
• Big Sam will be forced into at least two changes to kick-off the New Year as James Collins and Kevin Nolan both picked up their fifth bookings of the season at Reading on Saturday. The good news is Jack Collison and Ricardo Vaz Te both impressed from the bench so either could step into Nolan's shoes. Collins' absence means James Tomkins could move into central defence with Guy Demel slotting in at right-back.
• Alou Diarra is also available after recovering from a thigh injury and will be hoping for just his second taste of Barclays Premier League action following four months out.
• Momo Diame (hamstring) and Andy Carroll (knee) are progressing well and could be set for a return in the New Year, but it is likely this game will come too soon.
• George McCartney will also be absent after picking up a knee injury in training, with no date yet set for his return.
• Norwich will be without midfielder Bradley Johnson who serves a one-match ban after collecting a fifth yellow card.
• Striker Steve Morison and captain Grant Holt are doubtful after limping off in the defeat by Manchester City. On-loan Tottenham forward Harry Kane could step-in if needed.
• West Ham United have officially faced Norwich City 47 times, winning 17, losing 15 and with 15 matches ending in draws.
• West Ham United have conceded just one headed goal this season, but it did come in their last Barclays Premier League game at the Boleyn Ground against Everton.
• The first meeting between the two sides came on 6 October 1934, with John James Foreman and Hugh Mills scoring in a 2-1 West Ham United win at Carrow Road.
• The Hammers are unbeaten in six games against Norwich in all competitions. The last time they lost to the Canaries was a 1-0 defeat at Carrow Road back in 1994.
Last time out
Saturday 29 December 2012
Barclays Premier League
Reading 1-0 West Ham United
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Tomkins, O'Brien, Collins, Nolan, Jarvis, Taylor (Collison 54), Noble (Maiga 79), O'Neil (Vaz Te 67), Cole.
Subs not used: Spiegel, Demel, Spence, Diarra.
Saturday 29 December 2012
Barclays Premier League
Norwich City 3-4 Manchester City
Norwich City: Bunn, R Martin, Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Johnson, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hoolahan (Jackson 74), Tettey (Howson 57), Morison (Kane 45).
Subs not used: Rudd, Barnett, R Bennett, E Bennett.
Goals: Pilkington 15, R Martin 63 & 75.
• West Ham United picked up their first away point of the season following a goalless draw against Norwich at Carrow Road. The hosts had the better of the first-half action with Andrew Surman almost winning a penalty. The Hammers created a number of chances, forcing John Ruddy into a number of saves despite Andy Carroll missing the game through injury. Afterwards Big Sam was pleased with his side's performance and start to the season, saying: "It is our first point away from home this season and another clean sheet is very satisfying. That's three clean sheets from four since our return to the Premier League and that is a basis to build from."
• The teams that day were:
Norwich City: Ruddy, R Martin, Bassong, Garrido, Barnett, Johnson, Howson, Surman, Snodgrass, Holt (Kane 71), Jackson (Morison 63).
West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Reid, O'Brien, Collins, Demel, Nolan, Taylor (Jarvis 57), Noble, Diame, Cole (Maiga 57), Vaz Te (Benayoun 86).
Last six meetings
(Premier League unless stated)
15 September 2012 Barclays Premier League Norwich City 0-0 West Ham United
7 January 2006 Norwich City 1-2 West Ham United (FA Cup third round)
8 January 2005 West Ham United 1-0 Norwich City (FA Cup third round)
21 February 2004 Norwich City 1-1 West Ham United (Division One)
15 October 2003 West Ham United 1-1Norwich City (Division One)
11 March 1995 West Ham United 2-2 Norwich City
Overall record v Norwich City (all competitions) W 17 D 15 L 15
West Ham United
2011/12 Championship 3rd (86 points - promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2010/11 Premier League 20th (33 points)
2009/10 Premier League 17th (35 points)
2008/09 Premier League 9th (51 points)
2007/08 Premier League 10th (49 points)
2006/07 Premier League 15th (41 points)
2005/06 Premier League 9th (55 points)
2004/05 Championship 6th (73 points - promoted to Premier League via Play-Offs)
2003/04 Championship 4th (74 points)
2002/03 Premier League 18th (42 points - relegated)
2001/02 Premier League 7th (53 points)
2011/12 Premier League 12th (47 points)
2010/11 Championship 2nd (84 points - promoted to Premier League )
2009/10 League One 1st (95 points - promoted to Championship)
2008/09 Championship 22nd (46 points - relegated to League One)
2007/08 Championship 17th (55 points)
2006/07 Championship 16th (57 points)
2005/06 Championship 9th (62 points)
2004/05 Premier League 19th (33 points - relegated to Championship)
2003/04 Championship 1st (94 points - promoted to Premier League)
2002/03 Championship 8th (69 points)
2001/02 Championship 6th (75 points)
• Tuesday's referee is Mark Clattenburg
• His last West Ham United game was the 2-1 win at Queen's Park Rangers on 1 October.
• Clattenburg was the man with the whistle for the stunning 4-0 win against Manchester United in the League Cup back in November 2010
• The 37-year-old was the man in the middle for the Championship Play-Off semi-final first leg in May 2004 when Ipswich Town won 1-0 against the visiting West Ham.
• Clattenburg has already refereed a number of notable matches in 2012, including the Football League Cup final in February 2012 and the 2012 Olympics men's tournament final in August 2012.
• Clattenburg has been on the Select List since 2004, the same year he took charge of the Division Three play-off final between Mansfield Town and Huddersfield Town at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.
• After becoming a FIFA official in 2006 at the age of 31, Clattenburg has taken control of a number of international and UEFA Champions League matches.
• Norwich City manager Chris Hughton played for West Ham United 43 times between 1990 and 1992, winning promotion from the old Division Two in 1990/91.
• Norwich City defender Elliot Ward came through the ranks at West Ham United, playing for the youth team before breaking into the first team in August 2003. He made 18 appearances for the first team and formed a terrific partnership with Anton Ferdinand during the 2004/05 season that saw the club win promotion to the Premier League via the Play-Offs. Ward joined Norwich in 2010 and has passed 50 appeared appearances for the Canaries.
• The weather forecast for Tuesday's game is mostly sunny with maximum temperatures of 7C.
• Tickets for this game are now SOLD OUT. For the latest ticket news, click here.
• For the latest Tube updates and news click here.