West Ham United Ladies slipped to their second FA Women's Premier League Southern Division defeat of the season courtesy of a 1-0 reserve at Yeovil Town.

A goal just before half-time from Stacey Pearson was enough to condemn Julia Setford's side to a narrow loss at the Athletics Ground in Wells on Sunday afternoon.

Pearson scored the all-important goal with a diving header that gave Hammers goalkeeper Toni Anne Wayne no chance.

The goal came at the end of a first half that saw both teams create chances. After a quiet opening 20 minutes, Wayne was forced to save smartly to turn away a low shot.

West Ham's first real chance came in the 36th minute when Zoe Lipley-Hinton rode a couple of tackles but on rounding the Yeovil goalkeeper, could she not find the finish as the angle closed. Lindsey Morgan then shot over before Pearson's header put the visitors on the back foot.

Setford's team found a better rhythm after the break and Danica Revell found space to fire just over from distance on 55 minutes. However, despite the Hammers now having greater possession and several corners, Yeovil were still defending comfortably.

As the game went into the final ten minutes only a brilliant double save by Wayne stopped the hosts extending their lead.

Wayne's actions were the signal for West Ham to throw caution to the wind and pour forward in a late charge to salvage a point.

Rosey Sullivan came closest, but her header was turned away by the Yeovil goalkeeper at the far post. Wayne even came forward for a late corner to support the attack, but the Hammers could not fashion an equaliser.

The Ladies travel to Colchester United for their final FA Women's Premier League group-stage fixture on Sunday knowing only a win will be good enough to see them qualify for the knockout stages. Kick-off at Shrub End Community Sports Centre is at 2pm.

West Ham United Ladies: Wayne, Barling, King, Revell, Sullivan, Little, Morgan, Lipley-Hinton, Merritt, Bowers, Rowland
Subs used: Stimson, Bottom